Thread: Hard Drive

Rescently I have ended up with my sister computer. She ran into problems with the operating system. So I took it and setup it up again. Now I get to keep it but I have tones of files on my old system that I would like to have on the new one.

I want to know how the computer would react to me plugging in my old HD to the new computer.

Any Ideas on what I should do?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    Is this PC on a network?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    No need for a network. Just plug the drive in as a slave. You will then 'see' the drive in 'My Computer' and you can transfer the data from one drive to the other if you wish.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    ya do what vb said.

in the future if u want to have two computers running you should network them with a router. they will both have internet access, and you can share files easily.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Should I uninstall Windows before I plug it in as a slave?

This more of a software question but Ill ask it here any way. Can I trade the two Hard Drives. One is a lot smaller and I want the main one to have the largest amount of memory. My real question is will the windows on each hard drive boot with cd support and except the changes?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by timetowaste@24 July 2004 - 17:15
    Should I uninstall Windows before I plug it in as a slave?

This more of a software question but Ill ask it here any way. Can I trade the two Hard Drives. One is a lot smaller and I want the main one to have the largest amount of memory. My real question is will the windows on each hard drive boot with cd support and except the changes?

no need to reinstall windows to hook it up as slave windows will detect it.

if u want to isntall windows to the other hard drive u could either use norton ghost 2003 to make an image and copy it to the other drive or just make the bigger drive ur master drive and set the old smaller one as slave and format each during windows setup then your done.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    You don't need to uninstall Windows before connecting it as a slave.

In fact, if you had an installation on both drives you could then switch them around master/slave and it would boot whichever installation is on the Master drive at that time.