Thread: 9800 Pro Or X800?

I currently have a ati 9600pro. There's alot of hype games coming out this summer. I want to be able to enjoy their next gen graphics. I can't afford a x800 card or the next gen cards, so should I grab a 9800 pro or wait for the next gen cards to drop in price?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Spicker's Avatar AKA jaigandhi5 BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    give me the 9600PRO and get a 9800PRO

My Blog
    I'm still here.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    lynx's Avatar .
    Wait till there's a game that won't play with acceptable quality.

Just because there are new cards available, doesn't mean you've GOT to have one. Don't forget, the game makers haven't had the new cards much either, and they don't want to bring out games with only a very limited market, so they will still play on the lower performance cards for quite a while yet.

I think you will find this is a much better response, so give ME your 9600pro.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    What about this one? Or is it still too pricey?
    Need a cheap/easy way of modding your xbox? Check this out.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    ther is nothing really next gen about the x800 except for the pci express which is pointless because it offers no better performance.

the 6800 on the other hand offers new pixel shader 3.0 support.

so if ur gonna get something "next gen" get atleast the 6800. it gets betetr performance in doom3 (atm, future drivers for ati cards may change that) anyway.

edit: i say go for 9800pro or whatever u have now if it is anything more than a 9600.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    atiVidia's Avatar ^would've been cool.
    it wont

d3 was built around nvidia, just as hl2 was built around ati

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@24 July 2004 - 18:41
    ther is nothing really next gen about the x800 except for the pci express which is pointless because it offers no better performance.

so if ur gonna get something "next gen" get atleast the 6800. it gets betetr performance in doom3 (atm, future drivers for ati cards may change that) anyway.

edit: i say go for 9800pro or whatever u have now if it is anything more than a 9600.
    Yes, NVIDIA's 6800-based offerings introduce DirectX 9.0c optimisation, and namely provision of Shader Model 3, but with Far Cry being the only game to have support for Shader 3, it appears to be minimally relevant – on the basis that as DirectX 9.0/10.0 games, featuring implementation of Shader 3 and other technologies, begin to emerge, the 6800/X800 generation of cards are likely to have been superceded (with likelihood, by the X880).

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by Amarjit+25 July 2004 - 13:52--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Amarjit @ 25 July 2004 - 13:52)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ROSSCO_2004@24 July 2004 - 18:41

Yes, NVIDIA&#39;s 6800-based offerings introduce DirectX 9.0c optimisation, and namely provision of Shader Model 3, but with Far Cry being the only game to have support for Shader 3, it appears to be minimally relevant – on the basis that as DirectX 9.0/10.0 games, featuring implementation of Shader 3 and other technologies, begin to emerge, the 6800/X800 generation of cards are likely to have been superceded (with likelihood, by the X880). [/b][/quote]
    that&#39;s what they always say.

but currently the 5200 remains the better choise in low end cards currently aboe the 9200 becuase of pixel shader 2.0 support.

gives it a longer life cycle, same will hppen for the 6800.