Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Blowback From My Cpu Fan

tesco's Avatar woowoo
    i had my comp apart yesterday and was lookin at the heatsink and decided to see how loud just the 80mm fan was so i unplugged everything from the computer (fans hard drives etc.) except the cpu fan and power supply and started up and the fan was quiet.

i felt to see how much it blows but when feeling teh heatsink i feel NO air coming out of the fins...
    i felt the top of my fan and feel that the air is coming out the top instead of sucking in so i thought boy am i dumb i put it on backwards. so i undo the fan and go to switch it then i thoguht maybe i should make sure before i attach it again so i sarted computer and feel and teh air is going the right way.

so why when i put on teh heatsink does the air go backwards. I think that if i fix this i could probably get my temp down another degree or two from the 39 it's sittin at now.

any thoughts? i think the fins of my heatsink are too close together so the air can't get through or something.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Read my old thread...scroll down to one of the last posts (about 3\4 the way down), it's the one with a bunch of pics.

The problem i thoguth i would have with the fan adaptor not fitting my good heatsink was right, i can't fit it on, this is why im stuck usiong the one with teh fins really close together.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    For easier access
    Saves you from scrolling

Rossco, I recently ducted an old 2800+ stock heatsink to an intake from my case just to see what the results would be compared to my (now sold) Gigabyte 3D Cooler Pro.
    The results were quite pleasing. I achieved just about the same temps as the Gigabyte with both load and idle temps staying within a degree from the old heatsink. So you may want to try a duct.
    Q6600 @ 3.42Ghz | Gigabyte EP35-DS3R | EVGA 8800GT 721/1802/2006 w/ Accelero S1 | 4gb Crucial DDR2 @ 760mhz | 750gb Hitachi 7k1000 | Corsair 520HX | 2 x Samsung SyncMaster T240 24" | Windows 7 Ultimate

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by kaiweiler@24 July 2004 - 14:16
    For easier access
    Saves you from scrolling 

Rossco, I recently ducted an old 2800+ stock heatsink to an intake from my case just to see what the results would be compared to my (now sold) Gigabyte 3D Cooler Pro.
    The results were quite pleasing. I achieved just about the same temps as the Gigabyte with both load and idle temps staying within a degree from the old heatsink. So you may want to try a duct.
    not really that intrested i the temp all that much more for quietness and looks...and i say the duct is very ugly.

edit: but after looks and quietness the temp is next important.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004+24 July 2004 - 15:21--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ROSSCO_2004 @ 24 July 2004 - 15:21)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-kaiweiler@24 July 2004 - 14:16
    For easier access
    Saves you from scrolling&nbsp;

not really that intrested i the temp all that much more for quietness and looks...and i say the duct is very ugly.

edit: but after looks and quietness the temp is next important. [/b][/quote]
    A duct is only as ugly as you make it....
    Q6600 @ 3.42Ghz | Gigabyte EP35-DS3R | EVGA 8800GT 721/1802/2006 w/ Accelero S1 | 4gb Crucial DDR2 @ 760mhz | 750gb Hitachi 7k1000 | Corsair 520HX | 2 x Samsung SyncMaster T240 24" | Windows 7 Ultimate

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    The more you would "feel" the air would result in more noise you would hear.

To have a slow air movement over more surface area is the way to quiet cooling.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@24 July 2004 - 14:43
    The more you would "feel" the air would result in more noise you would hear.

To have a slow air movement over more surface area is the way to quiet cooling.
    if i made the fan run slower jsut as much air would pass through and might be a little qiueter, no?
    or does it not work that way?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    The fan would not blow as much air, it would be quieter due to it spinning slower, but not as much air is blown through

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by kaiweiler@24 July 2004 - 14:48
    The fan would not blow as much air, it would be quieter due to it spinning slower, but not as much air is blown through
    no but i mean cause only so much air can pass through the fins so if i blow less air then less is being wasted by coming back out of the fan.

i dunno lol im just thinkin up stuff.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    You have a very good point Ross. Looks like you should do some experiments to test your theory.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast