Thread: Any Sbc Cutomers?

shn's Avatar Đ3ƒμ|\|(7
    This is about 2 months old but does anyone know if this has been uplifted. I have to copy and paste because I don't think you can reach the link directly. ;'

Help Home > Connection > Connection Problems > Why can't I share files ...

Why can't I share files or printers over the Internet? (TCP ports 135, 139, 445 and 1025 are blocked)
    For All Applications, All Operating Systems, and All Domains

Please be advised that you may have received an email from SBC Internet Services with regards to this security issue.

In response to a recently announced vulnerability attributed to computers running certain Microsoft Operating Systems, SBC Internet Services has blocked TCP ports 135, 139, 445 and 1025 for all basic dynamic subscribers nation wide. (These ports are no longer being blocked for static subscribers.) These ports are known to be used by worms and viruses to spread to other computers through the Internet. Blocking these ports may affect your ability to use:

Microsoft Outlook to access a Microsoft Exchange server over the Internet
    File sharing over the Internet
    Print sharing over the Internet

This action should not affect the vast majority of our members, and does not affect using Microsoft Outlook or other email programs over a local area network.

The block is scheduled to begin on Thursday, April 29, 2004. Beginning at that time, you may notice that you are unable to continue the above activities over the Internet. Other uses of your Internet Access service will not be affected.

How long will this port blocking last?

With the cooperation of subscribers, and the use of anti-virus software and firewalls, we hope to have this issue contained in a relatively short period of time.

Are there any workarounds?

You may be able to work around port blocking. Some workarounds you may want to investigate include:

Using Microsoft Outlook Web Access
    Using Microsoft point-to-point tunneling
    Using a Virtual Private Network (VPN)

You may need assistance from a networking professional to set up these workarounds.

Will anything else be affected?

Other computer applications may use ports 135, 139, 445 and 1025, although they are mostly used for the purposes outlined above.

Why are you doing this now?

As the result of a growing number of apparent security vulnerabilities, SBC Internet Services is blocking ports in an effort to protect our networks and the security of our customers’ computers.

Because SBC Internet Services conducts security checks on its network, do members need to be concerned about additional Internet Security measures?

Yes, members should realize they are responsible for the security of their own computers. Our network security scans and port blocking are not a substitute for protecting and patching your own computers. We recommend use of personal hardware and/or software firewalls, and we suggest that all members install anti-virus software to scan the contents of their computers for viruses and worms.

Btw, I can share files just fine, I just saw it while I was looking for a their customer support center. But then again I don't use thoose ports anyway.

2. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #2
    sparsely's Avatar °¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°

well, my isp is rude!
    they block me from hosting w/ port 80.
    /me has to use 8080

this post is guaranteed 100% parrot-free

3. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #3
    shn's Avatar Đ3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by Sparsely@24 July 2004 - 18:02

well, my isp is rude!
    they block me from hosting w/ port 80.
    /me has to use 8080
    You don't say? I always thought it was just Windows.

4. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #4
    sparsely's Avatar °¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°
    eh?

this post is guaranteed 100% parrot-free