Thread: Emule Newbie (yes I Read The Faq)

Could someone explain in real small words how to make this thing work? I currently have a episode of 24 downloading that it says will take 44 days! I have a cable modem, so I know download speed should not be a problem. What gives?

Currently I am connected to Byte Devils server and have 32(0) sources (not quite sure what that means), my status is Waiting, and here is the link:

ed2k://|file|24_1x02_-_01.00_am_02.00_am.ac3.dvdrip.xvid-fov.[lh.2y.net].avi|362070016|7432699DD3F1BB95228C881F9CB91F12|/

Any thoughts?

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Out of The Ordinary
    Share Your files, leave emule on 24/7.
    Still no luck, switch server.

BOT

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Regular Member BT Rep: +5
    Originally posted by [B][O][T]@1 July 2004 - 09:59
    Share Your files, leave emule on 24/7.
    Still no luck, switch server.

BOT
    yeah also switch to razorback2

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Switching servers to speed up is a myth. As long as eMule is left on, she will reach out to all servers over time.

Piece of advice if you to the newbie: eMule is not designed like Kazaa if that is where you are coming from. She works best when you're dl'ing 20 to 25 files at a time. Trying to dl only a single file at a time can lead to frustration b/c of the credit system. Yet dl'ing multiple files will max your dl rate regardless of whether or not one particular file happens to be transferring or not.

Other than that, share as much as you can and leave eMule open for more than a couple of hours. Your credits will pile up and your speeds will zoom.
    My Best Quality MoviesMy Live Concerts — [url='http://rapidshare.de/files/22222332/My_Shares.xls.html[/url]

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Originally posted by guit_steel@1 July 2004 - 23:41
    Switching servers to speed up is a myth. As long as eMule is left on, she will reach out to all servers over time.

Why do Servers have Pings then if it don't matter which Server your on??

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    sparsely's Avatar °¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°

getting on a server with a lower ping time may...probably not in a terribly noticable way though.
    guit_steel is correct in that, once your client begins searching for sources for a file, each of those sources 'point' your client to the sources they got the file from, regardless of what server they're on.

The only time it really matters which server you're on (IMO) is when you want to perform a search. Because the search function only queries the server to which you're connected.

Hope this clears things up bit.

this post is guaranteed 100% parrot-free

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Originally posted by kdryan@1 July 2004 - 09:50
    Could someone explain in real small words how to make this thing work? I currently have a episode of 24 downloading that it says will take 44 days! I have a cable modem, so I know download speed should not be a problem. What gives?

Currently I am connected to Byte Devils server and have 32(0) sources (not quite sure what that means), my status is Waiting, and here is the link:

ed2k://|file|24_1x02_-_01.00_am_02.00_am.ac3.dvdrip.xvid-fov.[lh.2y.net].avi|362070016|7432699DD3F1BB95228C881F9CB91F12|/

Any thoughts?
    also, if you know your maximum upload speed (in kilobits) with your cable connection, make sure you don't allow the whole thing for uploading in emule/edonkey/overnet or you won't be able to download anything, or surf for that matter, at least that's been my experience. also, don't get mixed up with the kilobits and kilobytes with regards to the upload slot. i did, hehehe.

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    ZaZu's Avatar I know stuff ...
    Originally posted by kdryan@1 July 2004 - 05:43

Any thoughts?
    Switch to Overnet
    stop worrying about servers...Overnet connects to the same sources as does eMule

If you attack the establishment long enough and hard enough, they will make you a member of it.
    -- Art Buchwald --

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    I find that eMule finds more sources than Overnet, but on the other hand, I get better speeds for files with lots of sources on Overnet. So I would go with eMule for files that are a little rare, and Overnet for popular files.