Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sean John Puff P. Diddy Daddy Combs

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    This is a particular sore point with me, as many here are aware.

Voter apathy is a problem.

Uninformed voting is likewise a problem.

This "rapper" would not have turned off any prospective voters merely by uttering the words "learn the issues and vote your mind".

Voting in ignorance is a right in the land of the free, alas.

There was a day when rigorous thought was normal; now, no one can even be asked to think for fear of a headache.

Clocker-

We have matching philosophies as to how one goes about building or improving any variety of things.

Do you not disdain those who build PCs "willy-nilly"?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. The Drawing Room   -   #22
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    I have seen orators for both sides exhort the masses to vote for their candidate based on flimsier reasoning than Mr Coombs.

Yet he draws your ire and they do not.

I simply found that striking.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. The Drawing Room   -   #23
    Originally posted by clocker@28 July 2004 - 17:36
    I have seen orators for both sides exhort the masses to vote for their candidate based on flimsier reasoning than Mr Coombs.

Yet he draws your ire and they do not.

I simply found that striking.
    To which Conservative rap artist do you refer?

I'll point my ire at anyone who solicits voters thus.

Ironically, I discussed Poo Duffy's comments with my daughter's boyfriend this evening.

I can report a successful conversion; it took about 5 minutes.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. The Drawing Room   -   #24
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    Originally posted by manker@28 July 2004 - 03:45
    ....granted a majority [of youths] may vote blindly or without finesse...
    And this is different from the majority of middle-aged or elderly voters how, exactly? The well-informed voter is a rare animal.

There should be basic knowledge tests you have to pass before you can vote. Even something as simple as "What are the top three issues for each party, and what are their stances?"

Sure. That'll happen.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

5. The Drawing Room   -   #25
    Originally posted by MagicNakor@28 July 2004 - 22:52
    There should be basic knowledge tests you have to pass before you can vote. Even something as simple as "What are the top three issues for each party, and what are their stances?"

Sure. That'll happen.

It's called "means testing", and it's a good idea; problem is implementation.

Who writes the test?

In any case, MN, I treasure our agreements, however rare they may be.

-Mark Twain

6. The Drawing Room   -   #26
    Originally posted by j2k4@27 July 2004 - 18:24
    Why endeavor to do something so useful in such a shallow manner?

As I said, if the yoots listen, and are persuaded to vote thereby, what good is done without coincidentally persuading said yoot to educate him/herself as to the issue(s), rather than "vote your feelings" as Mr.S.J.P.P.P.P.D.C. importunes?

I make here the drastic assumption you agree that it is not as simple as deciding to vote, then proceeding merrily to the polling place to pull levers willy-nilly?

P. Doody said not one word about voting in any sort of informed fashion, and, given his idiotic slogan, I find his sentiment akin to handing out firearms without proper instruction.
    in contrast, may i offer up Chuck D.? prolly not the sort of person whose politics you'd agree with, but most certainly an example of a famous rapper who has for many years advocated to young people both awareness of the issues and voting.

just sayin'... there are other prominent voices in rap besides the ones that go on about bling and guns.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #27
    Originally posted by 3RA1N1AC+29 July 2004 - 15:12--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (3RA1N1AC &#064; 29 July 2004 - 15:12)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-j2k4@27 July 2004 - 18:24
    Why endeavor to do something so useful in such a shallow manner?

As I said, if the yoots listen, and are persuaded to vote thereby, what good is done without coincidentally persuading said yoot to educate him/herself as to the issue(s), rather than "vote your feelings" as Mr.S.J.P.P.P.P.D.C. importunes?

I make here the drastic assumption you agree that it is not as simple as deciding to vote, then proceeding merrily to the polling place to pull levers willy-nilly?

P. Doody said not one word about voting in any sort of informed fashion, and, given his idiotic slogan, I find his sentiment akin to handing out firearms without proper instruction.
    in contrast, may i offer up Chuck D.? prolly not the sort of person whose politics you&#39;d agree with, but most certainly an example of a famous rapper who has for many years advocated to young people both awareness of the issues and voting.

just sayin&#39;... there are other prominent voices in rap besides the ones that go on about bling and guns.[/b][/quote]
    I can&#39;t lay claim to any knowledge about rappers except as they intrude upon the major media, and, as such, would judge Paff Dingy as having much greater sway than Chuck D., who, although I have heard the name, doesn&#39;t seem to be within sniffing distance of Pudd Daffy&#39;s stature.

I will take your word on Chuck D.; pity that Pith Durky hasn&#39;t a greater sense of responsibility.

-Mark Twain

8. The Drawing Room   -   #28
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    The gentleman in question is a "rapper"? This explains much as it is a musical genre that I find difficult to listen to for more than 30 seconds before chronic boredom sets in.

Interestingly (or perhaps not) Diddy is a Scottish colloquial word for a stupid person who has the appearance of a mammary gland.

I would agree with Clocker though, there are many of all age groups who vote out of custom and prejudice rather than on the basis of policy and ability.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

9. The Drawing Room   -   #29
    Originally posted by Biggles@29 July 2004 - 16:33
    I would agree with Clocker though, there are many of all age groups who vote out of custom and prejudice rather than on the basis of policy and ability.
    Truer words were never spoken.

Clocker is, after all, a genius.

(Don&#39;t tell him I said that)

So a "Diddy" is similar to a "chesticle", yes?

-Mark Twain

10. The Drawing Room   -   #30
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Originally posted by j2k4@29 July 2004 - 21:53

So a "Diddy" is similar to a "chesticle", yes?
    I think this would be a fair assumption.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast