Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Being Responsible

Dear users of Kazaa,

I understand that having more files listed as “shared” increases your rating but some Kazaa users have become troublesome trying to pad their numbers. Here are four points that I would like to see all of us try to live by so that the P2P world continues to be useful to us all.

Item one. If there are files on your hard drive you don’t want to share i.e. Family photos, Girlfriend, etc. Please tell your copy of Kazaa that they are not to be shared.

Item Two. Please un-share any folders on your hard drive that contain installed programs i.e. your “windows” directory and “program files.” No one will ever want to download your copy of “Blue Lace 16.bmp”; we all have our own thank you.

Item three. Bogus files, why would you not delete them? Do you really have a reason to have several copies of a .jpg that is an advertisement for an adult web site? Or video clips that download Trojans? There is an obscene amount of bogus files on Kazaa, and they make it hard for anyone to get what they want. If you know a file is bogus, Please do us all a favor and delete it. It’s taking up space on your hard drive and muddying up the networks.

Item Four, Last issue, if you downloaded a file, and it was mislabeled, Re-label it. Or Delete it. I can’t even see logic for this other than laziness, unless you are sharing multiple copies of the same photo with different names. That’s just a stupid waste of your hard drive space.

Please be a responsible user so that we all benefit from P2P environments.

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    Hear hear

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Afronaut's Avatar Xenu
    Good points made out.

Moving this to the Kazaa section.

Spoiler: Show

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    spelunker121's Avatar Flailing about!
    Well said!

I want to believe most of the "legit" users on Kazaa comply with the basic common senses of P2P sharing.........I know I do.(or try to)

But there are alot of forces working to make file sharing as problematic as possible
    It is my belief that it is those forces(and you know who they are) are the sources of MOST of the B.S. that we run into everyday with filesharing.

But the changes can begin with me..........Sharing is Caring
    Protect me from what I want!

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    muchspl2
    too little, too late

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Poster
    too little, too late
    Correct just stick KaZaa(lite) in your bin and empty it the days are number that's why this site is called filesharingtalk now.
    After over 2years of using it I moved away and haven't looked back since.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Hi friends

I would like to add one thing to SpamhandEl's list of suggestion:

-It's not neccesary to share the most common items. Songs that are very popular, etc. They are so easy to get anyhow. Instead, try to think about what You've got that might be a little bit more rare or uncommon, and consider sharing those items. Let's say You have this CD with this hard-to-find band. Well, if You rip those songs and put them in Your shared folder, then you might make other people really happy.
    Nowadays it is very easy to rip a CD, with excellent freeware (CDex among others) so it's a piece of cake to do it.
    ---

And finally... So Kazaa Lite or it's siblings (please, don't mention the regular spyware-Kazaa) and the Fasttrack network is dying again? Have I heard it before? I can't be the only one that are finding what I'm looking for! I think Kazaa Lite and the Fasttrack network are very good products. But, I admit that it can take some time (or a very long time) to find, as an example, that old song that You happened to hear and would like to hear again. But let the Auto Search Mode be running and sooner or later You'll get it. That's the beauty of this network! I have been very surprised in a positive way a number of times. It seems that almost everything is shared. I'm talking mainly about music now.

(I'm running Kazaa Lite 2.43)

/Hammond

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Poster
    too little, too late
    That's why we love you, Much! Never miss a chance to say something - even if it's pointless, iconoclastic or plain, downright destructive pessimism.

I'm with Hammond. 2.5m users and the Uni's are off for the summer! That sounds a healthy community to me.

I've rebuilt my old 45rpm collection via Napster, Imesh and now Kazaa.

If you want Big Joe Turner singing Flip, Flop and Fly or Danny and the Juniors going Back to the Hop then I'm your man - you don't get those apples via Bittorrent.
    DOWNLOADING IS FUN - SHARING IS SUBLIME
    When all else fails - read the instructions!!!
    LEEDS UNITED - WE'LL BE BACK

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    muchspl2
    no but you could find it on emule or SS pretty easy, kazza is going in to cardiac arrest, just pull the plug and turn off the life support
    ps I love you too, but I'm not in love with you

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Thank you for the support of my rant and hammond for bringing further valid points to the table.

Is there maybe someone out there with the brainpower to write a plug-in that would allow someone to disallow sharing with an individual user? Then we could at least police our own searches to avoid connecting with names that come up over and over with bogus files. I would but my programming skills are a bit in the lack luster department.

And what about actually having to register usernames, not in a traceable way, I understand how dangerous that sounds, but at least in a way that would tie an installation of Kazaa to a name that can't be changed without re-installing Kazaa?

I read something on the board about the 20 un-published rules, where are they and why haven’t they been published?

Also, I dislike the option to not allow incoming messages; you should at the very least be able to point the "evil finger of shame" in someone’s face for abusing the system.

Final points, if it’s too little too late, why are you here? I'm not giving up the ship just because of a few rats.

If you aren’t part of the solution, than you are part of sticky things that float to the top and make my beer taste funny.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast