Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678

Thread: Possible Bt Torrent Tracker

running a tracker is pretty simple. if this forum is being run of a dedicated server its even better as you can use a c++ tracker.

jaigandhi5 contacted me and asked me a have a look in here. i run my own tracker with 20'000 peers currently connected to it with vertually ZERO server load.

as for bandwith. trackers have come A LONG way scince you ran yours jaigandhi5 (btw the first ever tracker listed on thebeehive ). there is a NEW protocal out for bittorrent that saves trackers 1200% bandwith (compact announce protocal).

my recommendation if you want to run a tracker FOR THIS forum is to get XBT and use there ipb hack. this will intergrate the tracker with the forums. meaning you would need to be a registered member of the forums to use the tracker (selectable i beleave). and to upload a torrent to the tracker you would just have to post it as an atachment in the apprapreate thread in your forums

2. Everything Related to the Board   -   #72
    TheRealDave's Avatar †Problem child
    Originally posted by beeman@26 July 2004 - 14:38
    running a tracker is pretty simple. if this forum is being run of a dedicated server its even better as you can use a c++ tracker.

jaigandhi5 contacted me and asked me a have a look in here. i run my own tracker with 20'000 peers currently connected to it with vertually ZERO server load.

as for bandwith. trackers have come A LONG way scince you ran yours jaigandhi5 (btw the first ever tracker listed on thebeehive ). there is a NEW protocal out for bittorrent that saves trackers 1200% bandwith (compact announce protocal).

my recommendation if you want to run a tracker FOR THIS forum is to get XBT and use there ipb hack. this will intergrate the tracker with the forums. meaning you would need to be a registered member of the forums to use the tracker (selectable i beleave). and to upload a torrent to the tracker you would just have to post it as an atachment in the apprapreate thread in your forums
    sounds a great idea

3. Everything Related to the Board   -   #73
    BawA's Avatar FST Pioneer BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by beeman@26 July 2004 - 18:38

Thats what i was shoutting all day

"You can be mad as a mad dog at the way things went; you can swear and curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go"
    Benjamen button

4. Everything Related to the Board   -   #74
    Spicker's Avatar AKA jaigandhi5 BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    k now we need help setting it up

wheres brian?

My Blog
    I'm still here.

5. Everything Related to the Board   -   #75
    well if you ever need help setting it up the creator of XBT (XFT) is always VERY approachable. you will find him hanging out a lot in filesoup's tracker softwere descussions sections. or at the trackers official website http://xbtt.sourceforge.net/

6. Everything Related to the Board   -   #76
    SeK612's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    I'm not bothered about a BT tracker (I don't use BT that much).

Torrents have not been allowed on this board up till now as previous admins have considered them to too close to DDL's. I remeber admins saying Invision had complained about the use of such links (you can use our board for such purposes etc)

Paul

Sorry, but we can't allow torrents on the board.
    7th Element

Torrent files are different because you can compare them with the first part of a rar archive. Allowing this is like posting htt*://somelink.to/somewarez.rar cause they are the first step to download a file.
    You should look around for confirmation on this and be sure you can handle yourself legally before you embark on anything too quickly

7. Everything Related to the Board   -   #77
    Spicker's Avatar AKA jaigandhi5 BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Broken:
    Q5. Is BT legal?
    The technology itself is legal. Torrent files, the files posted on BT websites like File Soup, are also legal as they are only text files. The files distributed with BT may not always be because there is no inherit copyright-protection technology or usage tracking technology built into BT. Since all of this legality stuff also depends on your country and its laws, the onus is upon the BT user to check and verify what exactly you’re distributing, and to be aware of the laws in your area. The actual users of BT can be held accountable for violations if laws apply in your area.

http://boards.slackercentral.com/sho...t=35745&page=3

[LEGAL-1] Q: Are bit torrents legal?
    Bit Torrents themselves are entirely legal. However, the use of the Bit Torrent Network to distribute copyrighted material without the express consent of the owner is illegal. Therefore, ripping a DVD and distributing it as a bit torrent is illegal. Recording a TV show and distributing it is probably illegal as well. Distributing a company's software without their consent is illegal.
    http://www.monduna.com/bt/faq.html#LEGAL_1

What's in a torrent file?
    BitTorrent dumper
    I was experimenting with BitTorrent, so I wrote a little file dumper to see what was in the mysterious [torrent files are not allowed] files. The code doesn't just parse the protocol; it'll dump whatever the decoder can find. Sample output:

info
    length 41470132
    piece length 262144
    name Halo2_E3.wmv
    pieces [159 SHA-1 values]
    announce http://news.gametab.com:6969/announce

http://www.nelson.monkey.org/~nelson...ech/bittorrent

[LEGAL-5] Q: What files/sites are being targeted?
    Sites that host trackers are the primary targets for legal action. If a tracker host is taken down, then all torrents that use that site to connect to other users will no longer be able to function.

See my above post. Tracker software is not illegal. However, apparently it's like painting a big red "x" on you ass.
    http://www.monduna.com/bt/faq.html#LEGAL_1

[LEGAL-3] Q: Why are so many torrent sites being shut down?
    Torrent sites are being shut down because they violate copyright law. The people that own the copyrights to a particular work contact the owners of the site, or the company that hosts the site and threaten to take legal action against the site. Sometimes the site's host will disable the site, and sometimes the site's webmaster will take the site down themselves to avoid legal trouble.
    See my above post involving Wanrner Bros. and Phoenix-torrents. You cannot scare at the drop of a dime when running a torrent site. You must have total faith that Torrent Files are legal, and It is only torrent files being hosted on you site. NOT COPYWRITED MATERIAL! I would also strongly subjest that the warning, "None of the files shown here are actually hosted on this server. The links are provided solely by this site's users. The administrator of this site cannot be held responsible for what its users post, or any other actions of its users. You may not use this site to distribute or download any material when you do not have the legal rights to do so. It is your own responsibility to adhere to these terms." be posted anywhere torrent files may appear on your site.

HOSTING TORRENT FILES IS NOT ILLEGAL
    It is important to understand what a torrent file it, a text file.
    The powers that be do tend to target torrent sites. Although the torrents are not illegal, what people may choose to do with them maybe. As with the Supreme Courts decision regaruding Kazaa.... "the software is totally legal. However, individual users can be held responcible for thier illegal use of." It is up to each user as to wither or not they are willing to take this risk.

For other questions regaurding setting up a torrent site, I would be happy to contact an Admin. of such a site with on your behalf.
    A torrent file is 100% legal in every country that I know of.
    It is a text file that contains the following.

The Location of a tracker, a user given file name, and size.

For example, the following sentence contains all the information in a torrent file.
    The file by the name of "how to burn a cd", is on a tracker located at 22.3363.xxx, it is 53mbs in size.

Nothing illegal. And I have to say it really pisses off "the powers that be", that there is nothing illegal there. Absolutly nothing that even close the the work that they may hold the rights to.

This reminds me of a situation that another torrent forum site went through with Warner Bros. I copied this post by thier Admin.

Little story for you all.......................

Our tracker hosts received this on friday night/saturday morning depending on where you live

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Network Operations Center:

We are writing this letter on behalf of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.
    ("Warner Bros.").

As you may know, Warner Bros. is the holder of rights under copyright,
    including exclusive distribution rights, in and to the motion picture(s)
    listed above.

No one is authorized to perform, exhibit, reproduce, transmit, or otherwise
    distribute the above-mentioned work(s) without the express written
    permission of Warner Bros., which permission Warner Bros. has not granted to

We have received information that an individual has utilized the
    above-referenced IP address at the noted date and time to offer downloads of

the above-mentioned work through a "peer-to-peer" service.

The attached documentation specifies the location on your network where the
    infringement occurred, the number of repeat violations recorded at this
    specific location, as well as any available identifying information.

The distribution of unauthorized copies of copyrighted motion pictures
    constitutes copyright infringement under the Copyright Act, Title 17 United
    States Code Section 106(3). This conduct may also violate the laws of other
    countries, international law, and/or treaty obligations.

Since you own this IP address, we request that you immediately do the
    following:

1) Disable access to the individual who has engaged in the conduct described

above; and
    2) Terminate any and all accounts that this individual has through you.

On behalf of Warner Bros., owner of the exclusive rights to the copyrighted
    material at issue in this notice, we hereby state, pursuant to the Digital
    Millennium Copyright Act, Title 17 United States Code Section 512, that we
    have a good faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained
    of is not authorized by Warner Bros., its respective agents, or the law.

Also pursuant to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, we hereby state that
    we believe the information in this notification is accurate, and, under
    penalty of perjury, that MediaSentry is authorized to act on behalf of the
    owner of the exclusive rights being infringed as set forth in this
    notification.

Please contact us at the above listed address or by replying to this email
    should you have any questions.

We appreciate your assistance and thank you for your cooperation in this
    matter. In your future correspondence with us, please refer to Case ID

Your prompt response is requested.

Respectfully,

Mark Weaver,
    Director of Enforcement
    MediaSentry, Inc.
    (212) 925-9997

------------------------------
    Infringement Detail:
    Infringing Work: Mystic River - DVD
    Filepath: Mystic.River.FS.DVDR_BooZerS[torrent files are not allowed]/
    Filename: mysticfs-boozers.r00
    First Found: 4 May 2004 14:10:9 EDT (GMT -0400)
    Last Found: 4 May 2004 14:10:9 EDT (GMT -0400)
    Filesize: 48,828k
    IP Port: 80
    Network: BTTrackers
    Protocol: BitTorrent
    ====================================

So our tracker server got taken offline - we were shut down again..... BOOOOOO!!!!!

Till we decided - well f**k that - it aint happening - and we went to the server hosts with everything we got. and the long and short of it - they looked and said - -- yeah you're right enough - f**k them ---- you're clean and turned the server back on -------

the reasoning behind this

Theres no links on the server

Theres no files on the server

In fact - there aint much of anything on there apart from the 110 K of tracker software - which is 100 % LEGAL - and the server peeps agreed with us - its 100 % legal

So what does this mean for us ????

well basically now our hosts have looked and said nah you're perfectly legal and given us the server back - the initials need to go to ANY tracker hosts and say - they have software on your servers which is 100% legal, but then could be used for illegal stuff to and we just dont like it - shut them down...and like they're gonna listen to that line especially now they have taken OUR side

So there we go - we could have just accepted the loss of another server, and took our tracker elsewhere - but f**k that - we made a stance against the intials and its paid off in not only this forums favour but the whole BT communities favour - we now have server hosts and isps tellnig them to go f**k themselves it aint illegal to run a tracker

The same thing goes for torrent files, F**ck'em. It ain't illegal to host a torrent file, and it ain't illegal to run a tracker.

I won't say that there is no risk to users of the torrent files. Many torrent forums host warning like this....

Disclaimer: None of the files shown here are actually hosted on this server. The links are provided solely by this site's users. The administrator of this site cannot be held responsible for what its users post, or any other actions of its users. You may not use this site to distribute or download any material when you do not have the legal rights to do so. It is your own responsibility to adhere to these terms.

If you want to see how a torrent forum is set up, here is one of the best. Learn from what others have already done.
    www.phoenix-torrents.com
    that good enough?

My Blog
    I'm still here.

8. Everything Related to the Board   -   #78
    BawA's Avatar FST Pioneer BT Rep: +1
    7th Element

Torrent files are different because you can compare them with the first part of a rar archive. Allowing this is like posting htt*://somelink.to/somewarez.rar cause they are the first step to download a file.

You should look around for confirmation on this and be sure you can handle yourself legally before you embark on anything too quickly
    then how came some IB forums do have BT links posted on them just like FastTracker, i think thoes Rules r applied for the Free Forums which r Dedicated to invinsion Server so posting warez will effict them but if uve got ur own private server u dont need to worry about it.

"You can be mad as a mad dog at the way things went; you can swear and curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go"
    Benjamen button

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678