Thread: Imesh To Pay Music Industry In Settlement

Vargas's Avatar gone fishin'
    Bridgemar Services Ltd., formerly known as iMesh.com Ltd., agreed Tuesday to pay $4.1 million to the recording industry for copyright infringement, and agreed under a court-approved settlement to change its Internet service later this year to prevent consumers from illegally distributing music or downloading songs.

source

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Poster
    Originally posted by Vargas@21 July 2004 - 03:34
    to prevent consumers from illegally distributing music or downloading songs.
    Whats that supposed to mean? If it is legal in my country to download music files, still should be able to use iMesh to download songs.

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Perhaps because their based in the US. Also I seem to remember that they may have had servers or something that indexed files which may be why they had this issue since if it wasn't completely decentralized then it could be treated as Napster was.

Also there is a possibility that there is a deal a brew between them and the industry perhaps, I would think more strongly of this especially if there is no appeal put foward...

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Originally posted by REALITY@21 July 2004 - 21:27
    Perhaps because their based in the US. Also I seem to remember that they may have had servers or something that indexed files which may be why they had this issue since if it wasn't completely decentralized then it could be treated as Napster was.

Also there is a possibility that there is a deal a brew between them and the industry perhaps, I would think more strongly of this especially if there is no appeal put foward...
    wrong, they are not based in the us

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Well I seem to remember parts of the company being based out of India or something.
    Although I thought the company had ties in the US also but the fk if I know...

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Vargas's Avatar gone fishin'
    iMesh is Israel based

Q&A
    July 20, 2004

Q: How will the new iMesh work?
    A: To be sure, the New iMesh will be technologically superior in almost all respects. This includes faster delivery of content and the elimination of spoofs. At the user level, however, you will perform searches in much the same way you do now.

Q: Will I still be able to download music for free?
    A: iMesh is committed to maintaining a true peer-to-peer environment under the new business model (as well as during the transition period). A lot of content will be available free of charge. iMesh intends to provide a unique business model developed with the industry to ensure delivery of content our users want.

Q: Will the new service cost money and if so, how much?
    A: Many aspects of the service will continue to be free of charge. Access to certain content and services will likely be fee based. We know what our community wants and we are committed to continuing to deliver a premium service.

Q: Will iMesh continue to operate until the new service is launched?
    A: Don't worry -- we are not going anywhere. We have been doing this for a very long time and are very good at what we do. So, we anticipate no gaps in service while we transition to the new model. The new model will launch later this year.

Q: Am I still at risk of being sued for using iMesh prior to the new service launch?
    A: We can't speak for the record companies. However, we respect copyrights and encourage our users to avoid conduct that violates copyright law. We have worked closely with the record companies to come to a settlement that will benefit everyone in the long run.

Q: Will iMesh seek licenses from the record companies or individual artists?
    A: A major part of iMesh's business has always been to obtain licenses from content owners. iMesh has for years offered licensed content to the iMesh community. iMesh will continue to work closely with the entertainment industry.

Q: Why did iMesh settle the lawsuit?
    A: iMesh views this as a historic opportunity. We agreed to settle in order to ensure our ability to provide you with more content and better technology than any of our competitors. Under the New iMesh model, which will launch later this year, you will be able to find and share the content you want without fear of being sued.
    source:
    http://imesh.com/news_2004_07_21_1.shtml

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Originally posted by Vargas@23 July 2004 - 06:45
    iMesh views this as a historic opportunity. We agreed to settle in order to ensure our ability
    Intentionally, Well Thats No Suprise Is It...

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Poster
    "Another one bites the dust"

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    "Another one bites the dust" 
    Nah, not bit the dust. Kissed the ass is more like it. Sigh, it's hard to blame them when the loss of your business is in sight. Hard choice. Give'em the finger and sink like a rock or kiss ass and go tits up a year or so later.
    Hell, maybe I'm pessimistic. Maybe they'll make a bloody fortune. Or not. B)

Later taters,
    BoNe

Liberal: Lib er al Someone who's mind is so open their brains fell out.
    Real cars don't make horsepower at the front wheels, they lift them.
    Lead, follow or get yer ass run over!

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    orcutt989's Avatar Blargh
    It is only technically legal to upload and download files in Russia, and also any country that doesnt have a stable government, or 3rd world countries.