Thread: Ares

Kazaa is going down the tubes. I've heard good things about this peer-to-peer file sharing program called Ares, so I'm eager to try. But before downloading it I found out it contaids adware and spyware and such.

Has anyone heard of a "clean" verson of Ares??

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Poster
    Get the Ares Lite Edition as no advert etc, don't ask me where I got it do a google.
    It can take some time to open too longest I've had was 5 mins.

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Ares Lite Edition is "Lite" because it doesn't have the file player, chat and stuff like that. But it still contains malware. It says so right here:

http://www.download.com/Ares-Lite/3000-216...lite&tag=button

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Poster
    Weird just down that and it's 953kb the one's I have are 941kb (which I put on) and 956kb but its the same version 1.81, well I can assure you I don't have any ad's etc and I have no ad-ware stopper either like I said weird.
    You don't need a player just use Videolan to preview but you can still chat and stuff.
    http://www.videolan.org

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    I don't want the video player and chat crap, I just want the program without the spyware. So no, I won't just dowload it and screw up my computer with it. And just because you didn't notice anything it doesn't mean there's nothing there. Spyware is supposed to go unnoticed. And the fact that you dont have an spybot remover just proves to me that your full of it, so don't assure me of anything. Thanks for nothing!

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Poster
    Thanks for nothing!
    Thank you.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    You can choose to install the adware during setup. If you make sure to unmark it nothing installs.

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Thank you.

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Poster
    Originally posted by executive@25 July 2004 - 21:52
    I don't want the video player and chat crap, I just want the program without the spyware. So no, I won't just dowload it and screw up my computer with it. And just because you didn't notice anything it doesn't mean there's nothing there.  Spyware is supposed to go unnoticed. And the fact that you dont have an spybot remover just proves to me that your full of it, so don't assure me of anything. Thanks for nothing!
    WTF you talking about?

All you need to do is, before you start installing Ares uncheck the Navigator then that's it...Ares will be free of adds and Spyware!

The add-ware and Spyware is optional....you choose to install it or not to.

is that simple people!

Enjoy Ares....is the best next Kazaa replacement.

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    it's OK. It lacks the userbase Kazaa had and therefore poor file selection. I like the simple interface, but it really needs some search filters