Thread: .cab Files Damaged For Windows98se

Novice
    Hi there,
    I have a computer been having for 6 years and I haven't upgraded it to anything except to a cable modem for the internet. I got it straight out of bestbuy but right now you can guess that it must be like Intel Celeron Processor 500mhz, 63 Ram, and 10.2GB hard drive. We'll that's cause it's exactly what it is. It was back in the day! Now thank god for the Hewlett Packard Recovery cd becuase my computer would have been useless in the first year since I didn't know anything about them.

We'll here's what happend. My computer actually got infected with a Trojan worms called TrojanDropper.Bridge.A Trojan, trojanDropper.small.GJ.Trojan and Trojan Clicker.Delf.R trojan. It caused danaged to several .CAB files of mine.

Now, I didn't know that my computer was infected becuase I did not have a Virus-scanner installed at the time being(first mistake). Now, Ive noticed all sorts of wierd things happening to my computer: Constant freezing, installing spyware software alone, and when I boot-up it gives me a blue screen saying that my computer has bad sectors and asks if I want to start SCANDISK and it scans litterally 1 million sectors. But it doesnt fix the problem.

The Actions I Took
    I have installed the virus scanner NOD32 which did a good job scanning, finding all three Trojans and deleted all of them! But, I noticed that it also listed some .CAB files on my computer and said that they are DAMAGED! But could not clean or delete.

ALL DAMAGED FILES
    DRIVER11.CAB>CAB>hpscntst.dll
    PRECOPY1.CAB>CAB>suwin.exe
    Base4.CAB>CAB>ebd.cab

What Should I Do?
    If anyone out there knows how to fix this problem or can send me clean files and tell me how to extract them to it's place I would most appreciate it.

Should I...
    1.Wait for someone to tell me what to do?
    2.Take it to a proffesional and pay over $100 bucks for it to be fixed?
    3. Try doing it myself?
    4. Pray to the lord?
    5. Forget about it, it's not a big thing?
    6. Install a virus scanner of some sort of .CAB fixer? (tried, doesn't fix anything)
    7. Format and Recover (Tried, wont do anything, used HP System Recovery)
    8. Delete the damaged files?

What's my status
    -I do not have the windows 98SE installation cd
    -I only have the HP System Recovery Cd that Ive tried a million times.
    -I used Advanced CAB Repair, the full version to clean but won't do anything

Thank you very much, email me at [email protected]

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    manker's Avatar effendi
    The errors you have sound pretty serious, normally it is better to fix the problem but in this case I'd format the HD and re-install windows because you already know what you did wrong - no AV.

I appreciate you do not have the win98SE disk but you could install Bit-torrent and get it from Suprnova.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    If thats your ONLY problem the 3 files I can send them to you total is only 927KB, once you have them go to search and find the cabs on your machine double click to open it and just drag the new file in (same as for the other two) and that should be that.
    Having of course removed the old ones if still corrupt first overwriting them may not help better safe than sorry.If you want the cabs they are 2.30megs in size pm me if you want any of them.
    Or as said go for a complete new copy of Win Se at supanova.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Originally posted by kurse@26 July 2004 - 04:16
    What's my status
    -I do not have the windows 98SE installation cd
    -I only have the HP System Recovery Cd that Ive tried a million times.
    -I used Advanced CAB Repair, the full version to clean but won't do anything

Thank you very much, email me at [email protected]
    I beleve the HP System Recovery Cd is your windows 98SE installation cd. Have you explored that cd yet.

Can`t your just boot off that, erase everything (i.e format) then install win98 by scrach?