Thread: Changed Isp But Dunno If Still Paying Freeserve

(>Zero Cool<)'s Avatar he is Spartacus!
    about four feet that way......no the other way
    Hi

my pal was using freeserve dial up internet for a while, paying per minute through his phone bill. Recently he upgraded to Blueyonder broadband, however when he uses his IE browser it still says &#39;provided by Freeserve&#39;, and for some reason he is still getting his e-mails from his freeserve account. He is concerned that he may be unknowingly paying freeserve for his internet use as well as his monthly subscription to blueyonder. I know absolutely he-haw about this so I wonder if anyone can advise me please.

thanks

zero

2. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #2
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    It&#39;s just Freeserve has "branded" your IE installation with it&#39;s own corporate identity..

It doesn&#39;t do any harm, and you are certainly not still paying them (at least I hope not), but you can remove the branding by following the instructions on this website

3. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #3
    Originally posted by barbarossa@26 July 2004 - 12:26
    It's just Freeserve has "branded" your IE installation with it's own corporate identity..

It doesn't do any harm, and you are certainly not still paying them (at least I hope not), but you can remove the branding by following the instructions on this website
    thanks barbie , that was what I thought was the case but I wasn't sure . The thing that concerned me more was the fact my mate was still getting his freeserve emails
    Last edited by Barbarossa; 04-03-2007 at 11:28 AM.

4. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #4
    Yeah, it&#39;s normal to still be able to receive emails when you leave an ISP, but he&#39;ll probably find he can&#39;t send any from his freeserve account.

5. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #5
    ah ok, cool. thanks for explaing that. hopefully he will buy me a pint with the money he hasn&#39;t actually spent

thanks colin

6. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #6
    Also while I think about it, get him to disconnect his 56K modem fromt he phone line, that way he can be sure he is only connectingwith broadband, and this is also good protection against accidentally downloading a dialer. (nasty little things)

And if he was paying by credit card, make sure he&#39;s told them to stop collecting&#33; B)

7. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #7
    Originally posted by barbarossa@26 July 2004 - 13:59
    Also while I think about it, get him to disconnect his 56K modem fromt he phone line, that way he can be sure he is only connectingwith broadband, and this is also good protection against accidentally downloading a dialer. (nasty little things)

And if he was paying by credit card, make sure he's told them to stop collecting! B)
    ok, will do, thanks again
    Last edited by Barbarossa; 04-03-2007 at 11:28 AM.