Thread: Got Caught On Bittorrent?

so I am new to bittorent, one noob question is: is it safer to use bittorrent than kazaa? do you still have to worry about the riaa?
    ban band ban

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Not any safer. Your ip is right there for everyone to see. Get a proxy to help limit your risk.

TD

HINT: Look down.
    Peace of mind Findnot

No time to work out? Try Folding instead.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Originally posted by tracydani@26 July 2004 - 18:04
    Not any safer. Your ip is right there for everyone to see. Get a proxy to help limit your risk.

TD

HINT: Look down.
    but isn't riaa only targeting kazaa users?
    ban band ban

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Poster
    Originally posted by elitek+26 July 2004 - 14:48--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (elitek @ 26 July 2004 - 14:48)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-tracydani@26 July 2004 - 18:04
    Not any safer.&nbsp; Your ip is right there for everyone to see.&nbsp; Get a proxy to help limit your risk.

TD

HINT:&nbsp; Look down.
    but isn&#39;t riaa only targeting kazaa users? [/b][/quote]
    not anymore, from what i been hearing is that people on suprnova are getting busted for downloading stuff.

proud to be american

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    i luv u xara
    what about peerguardian and protowall.... do they really work???
    dude!!!
    la cucaracha, la cucaracha, ya no puede caminar...

- JOIN our fold@home team... ... something about genetics n' stuff
    -i just had a pm conversation with MYSELF!!!... ... ...wow... that's sad

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Originally posted by ofbz@27 July 2004 - 07:58
    what about peerguardian and protowall.... do they really work???
    They only block ip&#39;s. That means they are only as good as the ip&#39;s fed into them.

This could mean you are blocking people that were put there by mistake, maybe someone has a grudge against you and added you to the nasty list. Not to mention the likelyhood of riaa/mpaa or other watchdog type group changing ip&#39;s. How do you always block the right people?

TD
    Peace of mind Findnot

No time to work out? Try Folding instead.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Regarding your IP or idenity it would be about the same either way generally although it may actually be safer since the AA, if we&#39;re discussing music, is generally targeting large uploaders, thus if you&#39;re dl / ul a music torrent it is likely that it will only contain one cd so then it would suddenly seem a bit difficult for them to make the same case as they can against Fast Track users...

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Poster
    Don&#39;t worry about it, even if they do catch you they will just send a threatening letter to you and tell you to stop sharing the file but it is a small chance of that happening anyways.
    AOL 9.0 Now with top speed sarcasm that is 5x funnier than normal
    dial up sarcasm complete with AOL instant stalker.

AOL 9.0 with top speed and AOL instant stalker...more expensive than saffron but worth it&#33;

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    About 1 year on BT here, suprnova, Torrentbits and other places not caught yet, pplus all you get is a warning then if u keep doing it you get a fine/court case/whatever.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Best to stick with sites that have private trackers. And that split the files into rar&#39;s with the names changes (i.e. tgs-ss.01). For example TorrentBits and FileList.org
    Need a cheap/easy way of modding your xbox? Check this out.