Thread: Problem Playing This Movie Teaser

I can't seem to get this to play... the link is here:

Hitchhikers Guide Teaser

I guess I just don't understand how GSpot helps me with this... I've got 2.28 Beta 4 of K-Lite FULL installed and can't get any Media Player to play this. GSpot seems to indicate that the video codecs are ok but something is wrong with all 3 possible audio codecs. Could someone please take a look and tell me what codec I need installed?

Thanks.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    Try VideoLAN

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Now that simply mystifies me.... If I have the proper codecs loaded shouldn't the video play on Media Player, RealPlayer, Quicktime, and Media Player Classic just fine?!?

And yet... as you stated, VLC plays it perfectly on my machine while MPC blows up, and others report that the file is either corrupt or of the wrong format. It's very frustrating to me.

By the way, with the exact same version of K-Lite installed, it runs perfectly on Windows XP... the problem machine is Windows 2000.

UPDATE...
    I just installed Divx 5.2 on TOP of K-Lite which includes the Divx player. IT also plays the file perfectly while the others continue to be unable to.... although the Divx player actually crashes when I close it playing the file.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    The file plays perfectly here too. On Windows 2000 SP4.

Which codec/filters are used in GSpot when you attempt to render the file?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    How's this?:

Image Resized
    Image Resized
    [img]http://mattisking.com/gspot.jpg' width='200' height='120' border='0' alt='click for full size view'>

or if that doesn't work:
    Link to image

More information. I did the following (still doesn't work) to try and get a "fresh start"
    1) I uninstalled K-Lite completely.
    2) I uninstalled VLC and Divx/Divx Player.
    3) I uninstalled an MP3 encoder I bought a couple of years ago.
    4) I went to Control Panel, "Sounds and Multimedia Properties", Hardware, then brought up the list of "Audio Codecs" and "Video Codecs" and manually removed every single one from both lists except for ONE Audio codec, "Intel Music Coder"... it wouldn't let me.
    5) I downloaded the Media Player 9 Codec Pack for Windows 2000 and re-installed it. Then I rebooted.
    6) Tried to play with MPC and Media Player 9 and both failed (MPC crashed).
    7) Installed K-Lite 2.28 Beta 4 AS-IS (I made no modifications to the "include" list.

Still no go. I'm about to reinstall VLC which for some reason IS able to play this file while none of the others are. I just don't understand this.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Can you post screenshots from the GSpot vid rendering and the MS A/V rendering too?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Vid rending (Gspot) is successful:
    (Src)-->
    Video Render OK. Use (3) to play.
    (Src)-->
    (Src)-->

Hitting 3 brings up the "Test Monitor" but it's just a black window and the stop/pause/play/slider does nothing.

MS A/V fails:
    Rendering failed. Following is the error reported by DirectShow:
    0x80040265: Cannot play back the file. The format is not supported.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Try this:

Start Menu > Run > Type: regsvr32 quartz.dll

That Cyberlink MP3 Encoder (see your screenshot) might be the problem.
    Here it uses:
    MPEG Layer-3 Audio Codec for MSACM
    msacm.l3codec
    l3codecp.acm

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    You rule. That fixed the problem. It now works perfectly! If you could spare a minute more when you have a chance... (and thanks SO much for the time you've already spent), what SHOULD I have done and seen myself? I just didn't see where GSpot was pointing out a problem anywhere other than in the Audio... I did figure it had something to do with that. What is quartz?