Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Need Advise

Poster
    i am getting broaband dsl since it is now in my area and have already ordered. i will be getting sbc up to 1.5 Mbps.

the question i have is this. my computer is about 20 feet from the nearest phone jack and i want to know if i buy a long enough cable will it lessen my speed at all?

b/c i have dial up right now and i know that it does not connect at the highest speed.

also are there any other solutions that could be recommended?

thanks.
    PLEASE help me get my Free IPOD! my brother got his 4 days ago and i need help with referrals. the screensavers just aired a story and it works. Just use my referral link and i suggest the 2 week blockbuster trial. you won't owe anything! http://www.freeiPods.com/default.aspx?referer=10154369

2. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #2
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Make sure you put the dsl filters on all your phone jacks or anywhere where a phone line is connected. That goes for sattelite phone jack too. Once the filters are on you shouldn't have any problem connecting to sbc. You'll probably be connecting pppoe and it's much better if you do that without a router/modem. If you have just a modem then use that and the internet connection wizard in xp for pppoe.

Sbc has poor customer service so your own your own pretty much unless you want to sit on the phone for an hour and wait for some techie who does not know zip to begin with, they just read that mess off a computer screen to assist you.

Pathetic, but the speeds are top notch. Maybe more for me because one of their centers is right down the street from me and in the Terms of agreement you'll see you get better connection speeds the closer you are to one of their dsl centers. And you will also get a number of port scans from sbc daily so don't get jumpy because they do it on their whole network nationwide.

3. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #3
    manker's Avatar effendi
    When your equipment comes then you will probably have a piece of DSL cable which will not be 20 feet in length, you can connect it up to normal telephone cable to reach the jack but that does affect the connection - not so much the speed of the connection, but it can cause the connection to break sometimes.

Better to make an additional investment to have the longer piece of DSL cable.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

4. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #4
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    I assume you mean phone cord when you say dsl cable. In any event just go and buy a 20ft phone cord from the store, shouldn't be any more that $4 bucks.

5. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #5
    manker's Avatar effendi
    No, I meant DSL cable.

I did have a really long regular phone cable bridging the gap from the end of my DSL cable to the phone jack - one of the ones that curl up on a reel - My connection kept dropping so I bought a long piece of DSL cable to replace it and the problem stopped. Cost fifteen quid ($25).
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

6. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #6
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by manker@27 July 2004 - 17:51
    No, I meant DSL cable.

I did have a really long regular phone cable bridging the gap from the end of my DSL cable to the phone jack - one of the ones that curl up on a reel - My connection kept dropping so I bought a long piece of DSL cable to replace it and the problem stopped. Cost fifteen quid ($25).
    I've never heard of dsl cable and they probably don't exist. Is that the right terminolgy or do you mean ethernet cord or cat5 cable?

7. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #7
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Originally posted by shn+28 July 2004 - 01:02--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (shn @ 28 July 2004 - 01:02)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-manker@27 July 2004 - 17:51
    No, I meant DSL cable.

I did have a really long regular phone cable bridging the gap from the end of my DSL cable to the phone jack - one of the ones that curl up on a reel - My connection kept dropping so I bought a long piece of DSL cable to replace it and the problem stopped. Cost fifteen quid (&#036;25).
    I&#39;ve never heard of dsl cable and they probably don&#39;t exist. Is that the right terminolgy or do you mean ethernet cord or cat5 cable? [/b][/quote]
    It came in a packet that said DSL cable on it, so as far as I&#39;m aware the terminology is fine. I&#39;m not going to call it something else just because you&#39;ve never heard of it.

8. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #8
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by manker+27 July 2004 - 18:22--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (manker @ 27 July 2004 - 18:22)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by shn@28 July 2004 - 01:02
    <!--QuoteBegin-manker
    @27 July 2004 - 17:51
    No, I meant DSL cable.

I did have a really long regular phone cable bridging the gap from the end of my DSL cable to the phone jack - one of the ones that curl up on a reel - My connection kept dropping so I bought a long piece of DSL cable to replace it and the problem stopped. Cost fifteen quid (&#036;25).

I&#39;ve never heard of dsl cable and they probably don&#39;t exist. Is that the right terminolgy or do you mean ethernet cord or cat5 cable?
    It came in a packet that said DSL cable on it, so as far as I&#39;m aware the terminology is fine. I&#39;m not going to call it something else just because you&#39;ve never heard of it. [/b][/quote]
    Well I was not being coy, it&#39;s just like I said. There is no such thing as a DSL cable and instead of acknowledging that you chose to be wrong.

Just because I have a box of sandwhich bags does not make them ziplocks. A phone cord is a phone cord, nothing fancy about it, not even in a dsl sense.

9. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #9
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    Its prolly cat5 cable

10. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #10
    manker's Avatar effendi
    bah&#33;

The cord I have is different from regular phone cord, it&#39;s thicker, it cost more, it also made my internet connection work a lot better.

The company I bought it from chose to call it DSL cable. If I paid extra for regular phone cord then perhaps my modem thinks of it like a placebo? Oh wait. Hardware doesn&#39;t have a personality

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast