Thread: Windows Compiler

shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    I'm looking for a good compiler for windows. Does anyone use borland and if so is it any good and what are some others.

I hate to download the whole ms visual studio suite cause it's pretty big. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    I downloaded the visual suite for DirectX programming...

I hate to say it but it was worth the download! It's got a really slick development environment that makes things a whole lot easier. I'd tried a few compilers beforehand but Visual C++ .NET really is the best one (for me anyway ).

Seems that M$ is good for something...

Edit: if you're looking to try a smaller one just now then it might be worth trying Dev-C++ if you haven't already done so. It's a free one but it's still pretty good. Only stopped using it because it had a hard time accessing the DirectX libraries for some reason.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    thanks rick. I can get the visual studio suite from my school or download it. I still have a lot of other suites and applications that I borrowed from my uni and they probably won't loan me anymore. They have like 4 or 5 of my id's everytime I borrow something I have to give theme a new one.

Anyway I'll probably download it If I can get it without the msdn files, I hate thoose their unecessary help files and docs that I can easily read online so I don't see the point.

Thanks again.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    http://www.thefreecountry.com/compilers/cpp.shtml
    nice list there. i have never used anything other than the free borland compiler or gcc.