Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems After Installing Codec Pack

I just installed the newest K-Lite codec pack and my Windows Media Player (NOT Classic) is messed up. It crashes every time I try to open a video file and Internet Explorer crashes whenever there is a video file embedded that tries to open with Windows Media Player (for instance, ESPN Motion and the trailer for Batman Begins). If I open the video files with another program (MPC, Quicktime, etc...) they work ok, but it is frustrating to have IE crash whenever a video would normally be displayed. I tried uninstalling, re-installing, re-booting, and nothing helps. I currently have the codec pack installed and am using XP Home.
    Please help, I am at your mercy!!

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    It sounds like you need to reinstall Media Player. Just go to the series 9 page on microsoft.com and see if you can reinstall it.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Re-installing DirectX may help too.

Uninstall the codec pack and install it with the default components (or less) selected. (If you customized them before).

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Thanks for the help, but unfortunately I tried both of those already. I uninstalled both Media Player 9 and the codec pack, and then tried reinstalling Media Player 9 by itself and it didn't work. I then tried reinstalling the codec pack after that and Media Player still didn't work.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Did you try the DirectX update too?

Can you also try the latest beta of the codec pack. See development section.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    How can I uninstall/update DirectX?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Simply download and install this:

DirectX 9.0c

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Tried that too and it didn't work. Here is where I am right now:
    I uninstalled WMP 9 and the codec pack.
    I re-installed WMP 9 and it still is not working.
    I updated DirectX using the link above and it still isn't working properly.

In order to test it, I tried to view the Batman Begins trailer at www.batmanbegins.com. When I tried to view the trailer in WMP, I got the following error message before Internet Explorer crashed:

iexplore.exe - Application Error

The instruction at "0x76ccfe07" referenced memory at "0x76ccfe07". The memory could not be "read".

Click on OK to terminate the program
    Click on "CANCEL to debug the program

I chose CANCEL and IE shut down on me.

Thanks for all your help so far...am I screwed?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    What type of antivirus are you using. Try to use an a back version of the codec and see whether the problem still there?

Good Lucky!!!!

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    1) Uninstall Media Player.
    2) Uninstall ALL Codecs including K-Lite and any other you may have.
    3) Go to Control Panel, "Sounds and Audio Devices", Hardware Tab. Choose both Audio Codecs and Video Codecs and for each choose Properties and remove every single codec from both lists that the operating system will allow.
    4) Reboot.
    5) Install Media Player 9 and all the Media Player Codec packs.
    6) Now install K-Lite.

If none of that helps and you are running Windows XP you could try to download the Beta of Media Player 10: Link

That's all I know to do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast