Thread: Feeling Very Unhappy.

Feeling very unhappy, hope you can change it!
    Was copying six CDs of my Corel Print house the first four worked great. # five did the same up to 98% closing. It never closed, waited 20 minutes, and then found that my LG DVD rom had jammed had to get it out with a pin. I put another CD in and that jammed. I Bought a new LG DVD rom. My computer will not recognize it, in other words when I open my computer it just shows both hard drives and my floppy and my LG DVD Writer but does not show LG DVD rom. I finally put a good CD with a program on in my DVD Writer, it opened it. I put it into the DVD rom and nothing happened. Sorry, something does happen, when I put a CD into the DVD rom the light comes on for about five seconds then goes off.

However I have never had trouble with DVD Writer before the DVD Rom jammed. I never had trouble with LG DVD Rom until it jammed and I bought a new one yesterday. I have rebooted 10 times. I have double checked my connections to the new LG DVD Rom. Twice after a reboot windows has shown message that it has installed DVD Writer and then showed it has installed LG DVD Rom. The strange thing is that DVD Writer has been in for six months,so why has windows show that it just installed it?
    I just opened computer again and the DVD Writer is showing again as my E drive, (that is what it always was) I just tried DVD Writer again and it is working!
    The DVD Rom does not show up anywhere (that was my F drive) and it still does not work.
    Now this message just popped up on the screen. The spelling does not look right, BUT that is how it shows!

The procedure entry point Get TimeZoneInfovmation could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll.

I hope you can help me with this, I will consider it as my 76th birthday present which is next month!
    Cheerio. Gotcha

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    i didn't read it all so sorry if u did this (watching a movie):

first of all, did u set the drive up as slave? correct jumper settings?
    and then u gotta go in the bios and make it detect the drive or set it up manually.

after this windows should (no WILL) detect teh drive.

as for teh jammed drive, sounds like it may have over heated or something. although maybe a firmware flash or uninstalling then reinstalling teh drive mgiht help.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    To ROSSCO. Thank you for your reply.
    In the meantime this is what I have done and it sounds as though you have "hit the nail on the head"

I was worried that the new DVD rom was not working and as I told you neither was my DVD writer. Well I unplugged the new DVD rom and (thank goodness) my DVD Writer worked OK. Then I unplugged my DVD Writer and hooked up the new DVD Rom and it worked great. Then I hooked up the DVD Writer again so that they are BOTH hooked up and neither works or even shows up on my computer screen!

Now I am 76 and a little computer dumb.so if you can give me a little help with the SLAVE business I will be very happy.
    Cheerio. gotcha

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    I used this guide when I put my PC together, hopefully this helps.

http://www6.tomshardware.com/howto/20020904/diy-10.html

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Originally posted by Sasage@29 July 2004 - 15:52
    I used this guide when I put my PC together, hopefully this helps.

http://www6.tomshardware.com/howto/20020904/diy-10.html
    Great link .Tom has some good guides.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    on the back of drives is a set of 6 pins. a plastic bit will be over 2 of these pins. it is most likely in the master position at the moment on both drives. on the top or bottom of the drive (maybe evven the back) there will be a guide that shows where to move this plastic bit too (it's called a jumper). Move the jumper to teh slave position on your dvdrom drive. the dvd writer must be in the master position so leave it. also it should be plugged into the end of your ide cable, and put the dvd rom drive on the middle slot of teh cable.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    The Plastic Connection.
    To ROSSCO_2004. Sasage , peat moss .
    A while ago I saw "The Bourne Identity" movie and it was great. Last night I went to see "The Bourne Supremacy" and it was even greater! This morning I saw "The Plastic Identity" and it made my day.
    Going back to my DVD-Rom and DVD-Writer problems,I heard about jumpers. I heard about "slave/master". I heard about "IRQ" conflict. I heard about "conflicts between ata 0 and ata 1".
    But because I am not a computer expert, I did not know what these things meant or how to deal with them!
    Now I was told this "Both your drives will have a plastic jumper on the back, I assume they are both set to master so on one drive you need to move the jumper to the slave position."
    I looked at the old DVD Rom and saw that the little grey plastic plug was in the middle position, I moved the plug from the new DVD Rom to the middle position AND everything is working great!
    My heart felt thanks to all who helped me and to novices like me, remember this "slave/master and plastic jumpers"
    Cheerio. gotcha.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Glad you got it working.