Thread: How Many Of You Have A Ftp Server?

I currently have one, I don't keep it online 24/7 but it is needed when new games/movies come out, that's how we trade, P2P is great and all but FTP is where it's at, like when Black Hawk Down came out, I had it the day it came out(On the net, it's still not out in the shops), I was getting uploaded the 41 files from like 5 differnet people, and between them they got me the game, then I shared about 4GB worth with others, then they did the same etc so everyone got it, I prefer doing it like that, it's easier then trying to get a rare file on kazaa.

So anyone got one? What do you use? I'm currently using BulletProof.

2. Lounge   -   #2
    FTP is to slow, i was able to get this file in 3 hours. There are much better ways to get it than ftp. The key, multiple source downloads. FTP doesn't have this. Well it does, but no one would, or should open up more than one slot per person on an ftp. But you dl from multiple ips like kazaa, or the alternatives.

Also i don't like people uploading files to me. It is ok for the lazy, but half the time you don't know what your getting. I don't like to use virus checkers, and i know how they don't work half the time, esp when it comes to certain trojans. Thats the whole reason we have verifieds, then people check em.

3. Lounge   -   #3
    NikkiD's Avatar Yen?
    I think FTP is a great idea - and I don't think you have to worry nearly as much about viruses, or bad files, as you can control who gains access to it and only create accounts for people you trust. I don't often download from ftp servers (once in a while), but I have access to a number of them that I upload to on a regular basis. If you know someone who has the file you want, or wants the file you have, but can't seem to find it on p2p software, it's a great way to spread it around.

I don't currently have my pc set up as an ftp server, I just don't have the resources or harddrive space left after running K-Lite, BitTorrent and mIRC almost constantly (I was down to 70MB earlier this week ). I do have a server at my host, but he gets mad if I store too much up there as he's running out of space and doesn't charge me for the service, so I mainly use it for storing pics etc. that I link to on the forum, like my sig and avatar.

4. Lounge   -   #4
    FTP isn't slow, it all depends on who you're getting it from, I have 30KB/sec upload, now that isn't bad, but I've downloaded from guys at 60KB/sec.

5. Lounge   -   #5
    How do you get one?

6. Lounge   -   #6
    NikkiD's Avatar Yen?
    There is a pinned topic here in the lounge that contains instructions for setting up an FTP server on your hard drive using BulletProof FTP.

Check out this post by Razz.

7. Lounge   -   #7
    BP is piss, I used to think it would be hard, but was it fuck? I set one up in 10 mins.