Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Norton Question.

ok, I have a question (duh) about norton. does norton scan files that you download from kazaa?????? i need to know if it does before i downolad ANY files. thanx people

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    iMartin's Avatar ♥Home Grown♥ BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    Yes, Norton scans ALL incoming files. So you wont have to worry.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Did you buy it or got it off k++? If you got it off k++, make sure it was a verified.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    When I Download Things Off KL and the DATA file contains a virus most of the time a worm a norton thingymajig flashes up sayin this file has been repaiered or cannot b repaired so u shud b alerted

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    make sure that you have the auto protect enable if it not then norton won t auto scan the file you are downloading you have to scan the file yourself

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    I scan each file anyways.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Kokanee's Avatar The beer out here!
    You would be wise to scan each file manually....I do.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Use common sense first off. Don't download cracks off kazaa. Stick to verifieds if you can. This is my strategy. I don't use my virus scanner that often, just once a week.

To be on the safe side, keep your virus checker mem resident. This means keeping the auto protect on. I would also scan each file individually. Probably the most important thing is keeping your virus definitions up to date.

In my opinion, this is crap, and just use common sense. I still have a trojan i made 4 years ago, and the virus checker doesn't pick it up. Go figure. Chances are if i wanted my trojan to be truely hidden from you, then you couldn't find it.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Jibbler's Avatar proud member of MDS
    Originally posted by sleepnmojo@23 March 2003 - 15:43
    I still have a trojan i made 4 years ago, and the virus checker doesn't pick it up. Go figure. Chances are if i wanted my trojan to be truely hidden from you, then you couldn't find it.
    Norton doesn't just pick up viruses. Someone would have to be infected, then send the infected file to Symantec, where they will add it to their database. They make a fix, and add it to their virus definitions. So unless you sent it to Symantec, their software will never find it.
    Proud member of MDS

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    uNz[i]'s Avatar Out of order
    At the risk of going off-topic

So unless you sent it to Symantec, their software will never find it.
    Then what are Symantec on about when they mention Heuristics?

From the "Bloodhound" section help of NortonAV:

Norton AntiVirus includes a technology called Bloodhound, which dramatically increases your virus protection against new and unknown viruses.
    Bloodhound isolates and locates the various logical regions of a file and then analyzes the program logic for virus-like behavior. Bloodhound detects a high percentage of unknown viruses. In addition, Norton AntiVirus detects unknown viruses by monitoring activity on your computer for behaviors that viruses typically perform. When a suspicious activity is detected, Norton AntiVirus prevents the action from continuing.
    So going by that, NortonsAV thinks it CAN detect (at least some) unknown virii and trojans...
    ...if you want to believe the hype, that is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast