Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Urgent Help Needed!

exo_body's Avatar Poster
    hey, i really need help here. earlier i did a system restore cause my bittorrent wasnt working properly and i restored the computer to the day before i started having the problems and now everything has doubled, like all the icons, programs, even everything in the start menu and i dont know what to do!my hard drive has doubled in size and i tried system restore a few times but it wont change!

can anyone help me out here,i dont want to go through my whole hard drive and have to delete every copy of every file. has this happened anyone before?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    Yes, Ive had the same problem like 1000 times, Since my comp is still under warranty till 2005 i just took it back and let them fix it which was such a fuckin PAIN IN THE ASS but its the only thing i could do.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    sameer0807's Avatar I aIn'T nO sErIoUs
    What OS are you running ?

I don't know if you would like this option or not, I say do a clean installation of your OS...but make sure that you burn all the important files, folders, softwares to some CD because doing a clean installation of you OS will delete everything off your Pc.

I mean it will be like factory default settings again....

Cheers !

"I'll be here... I'll be 'waiting'...here... I'll be waiting... for you ... so... If you come here... You'll find me. I promise..."

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    Sounds bad and Very strange
    never happened to me

I advize avoiding system resotre at alll costs unless its really desperate & serious
    restoring simply to try to fix a Bittorrent sounds a little bit over hasty (and greedy)

Ive never heard of this before and cleaning up the mess sounds pointless - do what
    sammeer said.
    try to look for answers on google (couldnt find anything worthwhile)

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    exo_body's Avatar Poster
    hey, thanks for the help. well the reason i did a system restore was because bittorrent stoped working one other time and when i restored it to te day before when it was working, it returned to normal.

does any one have any ideas that dont involve returning the computer or wiping the hard drive, its just its my dads computer and i really want to try and avoid that.

i checked google but i couldnt find any one with the same problem!

oh and im using XP

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Unfortunate to say, but you will just have to start over. I have never had this happen when using system restore feature. Used it plenty of times too. Sounds a bit rash to use system restore just to get BT working. It would have been easier to just uninstall BT and then Re-install it. That would have taken care of the problem I thinks.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    exo_body's Avatar Poster
    i did uninstall and reinstall it and it didnt work, but that has happened me a few times with BT and when i used system restore it worked fine after. im doing an online virus scan at the minute cause my uncle said it sounds like something a virus might do, so gonna see what the results for that come out like. i guess i probably will have to start over, but i just wanna make that the last option if you know what i mean. thing is, im not to sure it would be a virus, as the computer is working fine!like the only problem is the fact everything has been duplicated. i guess i could go through every file in the computer and delete all the copies, but that would literally take days, so if i dont find any virus's i'll most likely just start over and try and be more careful this time

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    uNz[i]'s Avatar Out of order
    Why don't you try something like this or this?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    exo_body's Avatar Poster
    yeah i thought about that aswell, its a good idea, but would it work for all the files?like everything has been duplicated here

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    uNz[i]'s Avatar Out of order
    Well, to start with, just try cleaning up one folder that hasn't got any important files, so you don't kill your dad's system if things don't go how you expected.

You've got nothing to lose but a bunch of redundant files, huh?

Edit: Additional

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast