Thread: The Data Is Invalid - Network Card Installation

Hi guys I have a problem with one of my computers. I have recently formatted it and reinstalled windows xp. I now have the problem where I cannot install my network card. Whenever I try to install the drivers I get the message there was a problem installing this hardware: Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC - The data is invalid. When I installed it first i just popped it in and it installed automatically and had no problems with it till i did a clean install. Now I cant get net access on my desktop.

I have tried all the steps in these links:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...-us;841567&fr=1

http://www.xtra.co.nz/help/0,,6156-1359658,00.html

and still get the same error. Just wondering if any of you guys had had the same problem and how you rectified it. I have been trying for days and still no progress.

May try another fresh install but take the network card out when i do the installation then put it in later like I did when I installed it originally.

You're thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Guys!!

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Try moving the card to another PCI slot if it's not onboard. If it is on board then try moving other cards from one PCI slot to another.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@30 July 2004 - 17:07
    Try moving the card to another PCI slot if it's not onboard. If it is on board then try moving other cards from one PCI slot to another.
    Neh its not onboard it is a seperate network card for a pci slot. Will try that now and let you know how I get on.

Cheers

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Nope moved it to a new pci slot and got the same error! I am thinking of doing a fresh install of windows xp without the netwoork card plugged in. Do you reckon that will work or should I try something different. It did used to work in this slot and configuration.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    is SP1 (service pack 1) installed?

also u could try going to the card's manufacturer's website and download the latest xp drivers and try that (if u haven't already).

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Yes SP1 is installed, downloaded the windows xp professional with SP1 and put that on the comp. Dont think it is even giving me permission to install any drivers. Have tried the latest drivers, but it used to work before with the old drivers!

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Update:

Still not had no success. Have done a fresh install of windows xp.
    Have changed all of my cards around in th PCI slots to diff positions.
    Have done all the steps I found to do on the internet pages i mentioned with regards to changing the registry.

And still get the message The Data Is Invalid!!1

Another thing I may do is do an installation of windows xp without SP1 as I did this before and it worked before I upgraded to SP1. Any thoughts??

Can anybody help me as my parents need to use my desktop when i am at un i and need net access!!

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Can you try removing the card and install the one from the PC you are currently using to access the board?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@1 August 2004 - 19:41
    Can you try removing the card and install the one from the PC you are currently using to access the board?
    Sorry I am on my laptop here which is connected to the router. Any other suggestions you would be saving my skin big time :helpsmile: :helpsmile:

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Try downloading this: ftp://210.51.181.211/cn/nic/rtl8139abcd81...rtlnic(615).zip

Open the zipped folder and you will find one of the folders inside named WinXP. Extract the contents of the WinXP folder to a floppy diskette. Insert the diskette into the other PC and then, from the Device Manager, reinstall the driver and use the "have disk" opition to point to the diskette.