Thread: History, Politics Or Social Science

Chame1eon's Avatar Super Freak
    Can anyone reccomend some good, objective books on these subjects. Most of what i see in the bookstore looks biased to me. I'm interested in most major countries.
    I only licked you for the salt

2. Lounge   -   #2
    Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    That's loaded question! Personally, I find politics and history to be inheritably biased, come what may. My only solace is to read the different perspectives before labelling the author's predilections. One man's victory is another man's massacre.

3. Lounge   -   #3
    Originally posted by Darth Sushi@30 July 2004 - 20:45
    That's loaded question! Personally, I find politics and history to be inheritably biased, come what may. My only solace is to read the different perspectives before labelling the author's predilections. One man's victory is another man's massacre.
    well ok, maybe that was kind of naive, but there must be some peope that just want to try to write an accurate book.
    aren't there

4. Lounge   -   #4
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    Especially concerning history, and to use an oft-coined term, it's written (or rewritten) by the victors. You won't find too many accounts of say, the Aztec's side of the Spaniard invasion.

Furthermore, the subjects you want are so very broad, it'd be impossible for me to even come up with a short list. If you're looking into history, it's good to pinpoint an area you want to look into. I could give you "The Lives of Women in the Middle Ages," but it may not be remotely what you're asking for.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

5. Lounge   -   #5
    TheNobleEU's Avatar Post Count Slacker
    It shouldn't be too difficult for us to recommend works of professional (academic) history or social science in an area you're interested in -- historians (usually) pride themselves on historical method providing as objective an overview as possible, if by only considering all viewpoints available.

'Politics' is a stickier topic, as political writings argue, as Darth Sushi said, a particular viewpoint -- they aren't usually in the business of providing an 'historical' overview of an issue. Here again you'd have to give us an idea of what topics you were interested in.

Cheers,
    -EU

6. Lounge   -   #6
    indians are cool