Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Start Button Changed

Minor Annoyance i've lived with for awhile my xp pro start button has turned gray and rectangular (like win 2000 i think).I would like to see it green again and i'm not sure how to fix it or how i screwed it up for that matter.Two years of messing around has a tendency to mess things up abit(been a long time between formats)..

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Guillaume's Avatar Kentish old lady BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    2 possibilities:

1) Right click on taskbar, choose "properties", go to "start menu" change from "classic start menu" to "start menu".

2) Go to "System properties" (windows+pause) go to "advanced", under "Performance" click on "settings" and fiddle in "visual effects" till you get want you want.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    sparsely's Avatar °¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°
    Originally posted by Gurahl@30 July 2004 - 19:04
    1) Right click on taskbar, choose "properties", go to "start menu" change from "classic start menu" to "start menu".
    that start menu option just switches on/off the grouping of frequently used programs. It won't change the button.

accat, has all your machine gone to looking like win2000?
    if so go to Control Panel > Display > Themes tab
    in the Theme drop-down, choose Windows XP style
    then you can change the color from the default blue to silver (w/green button) on the Appearance tab.

this post is guaranteed 100% parrot-free

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    wish it was that easy..have a look here under the 4th task bar (start button down)http://www.windows-help.net/WindowsXP/tune-02.html ..seems like someone forgot to tell my pc that it couldn't do this.. lol

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Originally posted by Sparsely+30 July 2004 - 19:54--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Sparsely &#064; 30 July 2004 - 19:54)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-Gurahl@30 July 2004 - 19:04
    that start menu option just switches on/off the grouping of frequently used programs. It won&#39;t change the button.

accat, has all your machine gone to looking like win2000?
    if so go to Control Panel > Display > Themes tab
    in the Theme drop-down, choose Windows XP style
    then you can change the color from the default blue to silver (w/green button) on the Appearance tab.
    [/b][/quote]
    I think the problem lies in here i see no difference when win xp style and classic style are applied when it comes to the start button or task bar

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    sparsely's Avatar °¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°
    then what&#39;s on um...

right-click your &#39;my computer&#39; icon & go to Properties > Advanced tab > Performance settings.

on the Visual Effects tab, make sure the "use visual styles for windows & buttons" option is checked. (very last option)

this post is guaranteed 100% parrot-free

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Originally posted by Sparsely@30 July 2004 - 20:55
    then what&#39;s on um...

right-click your &#39;my computer&#39; icon & go to Properties > Advanced tab > Performance settings.

on the Visual Effects tab, make sure the "use visual styles for windows & buttons" option is checked. (very last option)
    Thanks for trying but i think I may have to live with this little annoyance till I format.Oh well could be worse....

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Start>Run>"services.msc".

Make sure that "Themes" is enabled and running.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Might be it lost the image file for the xp start-button, either in the registry, or the file itself, and that therefore it&#39;s reverting to the old start button.

Try undoing whatever registry changes you&#39;ve done, and try and find a friend or someone with the image still intact, it may be part of a larger file tho&#39;, and I&#39;m not sure which.

Importing a new xp theme ought to give you another button anyway.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    install stylexp or windowsblinds or something like that and apply a new theme. that should fix it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast