Thread: Upgrading To Windows 2000 From 98

Poster
    here are the pecs

Pentium 2 - 350
    160Mb ram
    6 Gb hardrive

already some programs on it and files

can it support windows 2000 ?

i ask this question as my brother has this computer and bought an mp3 player which is usb, the pc wont see it, its odd as he had both a router and web cam - both usb - that work fine on the system. I did format the PC 2 weeks ago but even after reinstalling the drivers it wont see it.

I used a recovery disk which had its own version of win 98 on it, i have a feeling its not SE - but surely the other usb devices wont work?

anyways i cant see a copy of 98 SE on the net, only 2000 and it seems the better OS
    <span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:blue'><span style='font-family:Arial'>AMD 2600
    512 DDR RAM
    160GB HDD
    GeForce 5600 FX 256mb
    Sony DVD writer +/-
    Windows XP</span></span>
    <span style='color:red'><span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>Bit torrent client - ABC</span></span></span>

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Regular Member BT Rep: +5
    yep go for the install of windows 2000.

offical minimum requirments to run 2000 are here

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Originally posted by chinook_apache@31 July 2004 - 07:56
    yep go for the install of windows 2000.

offical minimum requirments to run 2000 are here
    Ya more support as well , take note tho.

At least 64 megabytes (MB) of RAM; more memory generally improves responsiveness.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Originally posted by bilko@31 July 2004 - 10:43
    here are the pecs

Pentium 2 - 350
    160Mb ram
    6 Gb hardrive

already some programs on it and files

can it support windows 2000 ?

i ask this question as my brother has this computer and bought an mp3 player which is usb, the pc wont see it, its odd as he had both a router and web cam - both usb - that work fine on the system. I did format the PC 2 weeks ago but even after reinstalling the drivers it wont see it.

I used a recovery disk which had its own version of win 98 on it, i have a feeling its not SE - but surely the other usb devices wont work?

anyways i cant see a copy of 98 SE on the net, only 2000 and it seems the better OS
    Sure go for it my son has a system with win 2000 on it 400 mhz celeron 96 mb ram ,6g hd...He has a dvdrom in it and it plays dvd&#39;s ...I consider it the best 15&#036;Can. I ever spent..On a side note you will notice win 2000 does not have msconfig.. you may wish to download it ...Also the reason the mp3 player didn&#39;t work in win 98 is because it needs a specific driver for it (I had the same problem with a generic external usb mini hd .It took many attempts at finding a driver that would work from drivers.com)

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by accat13@1 August 2004 - 02:15
    I ever spent..On a side note you will notice win 2000 does not have msconfig.. you may wish to download it ...
    Never ever shut down RPC tho&#39;.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    u gotta be joking about the no msconfig option, its a must have considering the junk that can start up with a PC

ok well i used my last cd-r to put a copy of Windows 98 SE and try it out, i put it in the drive, it started up and prompted,a newer version of windows detected would you like to install..... i said yes and blam&#33; blue screen stating a windows error, groovy - why is this happening - i had tears

well i have the win 2000 pro copy and will give it a go when i get hold of a cd-r
    damn it i hate the wait, im so low on money, i hope poundland has some in stock
    <span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:blue'><span style='font-family:Arial'>AMD 2600
    512 DDR RAM
    160GB HDD
    GeForce 5600 FX 256mb
    Sony DVD writer +/-
    Windows XP</span></span>
    <span style='color:red'><span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>Bit torrent client - ABC</span></span></span>

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    It&#39;s prolly not a good idea to just install win2k on top of win98, I thought you&#39;d format and possible repartition first. I hope you do when it&#39;s time for that.

Win2k should preferably run on ntfs, whereas win98 runs on FAT 32.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    I have installed windows xp and disabled all the fancy stuff on it and it would run better than windows 2000. I would install XP fresh if possible but if not just upgrade to xp.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    ok well im gonna format and install at the weekend but im a little unsure
    i can format ok and if i make PC boot to cdrom and have the windows SE disk in there will it prompt me to install and kinda do it all

before i&#39;ve always had a recovery disk that came with the PC
    512 DDR RAM
    160GB HDD
    GeForce 5600 FX 256mb
    Sony DVD writer +/-
    Windows XP</span></span>

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Originally posted by bilko@3 August 2004 - 01:28
    ok well im gonna format and install at the weekend but im a little unsure
    i can format ok and if i make PC boot to cdrom and have the windows SE disk in there will it prompt me to install and kinda do it all

before i&#39;ve always had a recovery disk that came with the PC
    use the windows 2000 or windows xp disk to install not the windows SE disk unless you want to install windows 98 again.