Thread: Does Size Matter?

mrlessk's Avatar Poster
    Hi,
    I'm using KL v2.6

Ok, I do a search for a music file.

Many appear in my Search window.

I then have, for example, a choice between one that is 3,765KB or one that is 8,172KB

They both appear to be the same format (the larger is not tagged as a LIVE version for example).

Because I have dial-up I would not want to start downloading the larger of the two unless, because it is larger in KB volume, it has better quality sound.

Which one do I choose to download?
    Is it wiser to always choose the larger KB file? Will the quality be that much better?

Many thanks,

mrlessk

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Autumn Fox's Avatar n00b
    If you trully are a meloman and have good hearing, then the KB make a diffrence, but only then.
    If you can't distinguish the diffrence betwixt many instuments in a concert take the smaller one.

Edit: This question should be asked in Musicworld.

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Hi mrlessk

I suggest that You move Your cursor in the search window over the item You're considering. Then You will see some additional info about that song. Check the Quality value, and avoid downloading songs that have a lower value than 128.

128kbit/sec will give sufficient quality if the song is encoded by a high quality encoder.

But if all other variables are the same, a higher value vill give You better sound quality.

PS. For an audiobook or a recorded speech I think it's OK with bitrates lower than 128Kbit/sec.

(I'm running Kazaa Lite 2.43)

/Hammond

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    mrlessk's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by hammond+31 July 2004 - 10:17--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (hammond &#064; 31 July 2004 - 10:17)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>I suggest that You move Your cursor in the search window over the item You&#39;re considering. Then You will see some additional info about that song. Check the Quality value, and avoid downloading songs that have a lower value than 128.

[/b]

Yes, I see what you mean......very interesting.

So, using the Quality level as a guide could determine my choice?

For example....I just went to my Search window where I have a group of same songs.
    One with 4,171KB has a Quality level of 360
    whereas another of 8,892KB has a Quality rating of 244.

Therefore the sound quality would be better choosing the one with 360?

This brings up another question....who or what chooses that Quality level?
    How is it determined?
    Can this then be the ultimate indicator when choosing which one to download?

Thank you for the replies,

<!--QuoteBegin-Autumn Fox

Edit: This question should be asked in Musicworld.[/quote]
    Oops&#33; My bad.
    You&#39;re right Autumn Fox.
    If a Mod wants to move it, please do.

mrlessk

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Hi mrlessk

Hmm... You&#39;re already touching the issue of Variable bitrates...

The person that rip the song from a CD and converts it to MP3-format will choose the Quality level/the bitrate. You can download the excellent freeware CDex, and start ripping if You wan&#39;t to learn more.

Anyway, both of the files You have checked would give You good sound quality, if the encoders used are good. I would go for the 360 quality level-file in this case.

But I think it&#39;s time to move to another forum with this dicussion as Autumn Fox suggested. Because we are touching the issue of variable bitrates, and different settings during ripping, and so on.

To sum it up: Go for at least 128 in quality and You will be fine&#33;

/Hammond

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    mrlessk's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by hammond@31 July 2004 - 12:07
    Hmm... You&#39;re already touching the issue of Variable bitrates...
    Anyway, both of the files You have checked would give You good sound quality, if the encoders used are good. I would go for the 360 quality level-file in this case.
    To sum it up: Go for at least 128 in quality and You will be fine&#33;
    Hi hammond,
    Yeah, I don&#39;t need to delve any further into the technical aspects of what may make one song a better choice over another....lol

I just wasn&#39;t aware of the Quality level indicator before and will start paying more attention to it when making my selection.
    That&#39;s all I needed, some sort of a guideline to help me in making my choice and you&#39;ve provided me with that.

Thank you for the input,

Cheers&#33;
    :beerchug:

mrlessk