Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why You Should Not Be A P2p Leach

thomas533
    Why you should not be a P2P Leach.

Leaches are for the most part, people who do not understand the nature of computer networks. They feel that by allowing people to download off of their computer than they are at risk of using all of their bandwidth. This is not the case.

Today’s broadband systems, cable and DSL networks, both utilize what is called a full-duplex network. What that means is that there are two separate lines of communication; one for upstream and one for downstream. When the upstream connection is saturated with data, the downstream connection is almost completely unaffected (less than 3% usage) and vice versa. To put it in simpler terms, even if you have 4 people downloading files at over 10 kb/s, you can still surf the web, do email, and download off of other sites at full speed.

A typical cable internet connection is up to 1.5 Mb/s download and 128 kb/s upload. You may be using your full download bandwidth, but you are not using any of your upload bandwidth. You are paying for the service, but leaches don’t use any of it because they are misinformed. When you encounter a leach, try to help them understand this. People who are still using modems (broadband isn’t available in all areas), are the only ones left that have to deal with half duplex communications.

DON’T BE A LEACH, LET PEOPLE DOWNLOAD!!!

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    ther's alot of stuff i didn't knew.......

thanks for posting it

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    I never noticed any decrease in d/l speed in kazaa when I'm uploading alot....but in Direct Connect my download speed drops as a rock.....its weird

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Decent post
    Hopefully some leaches will see it

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    How are you gonna get this through to the 40%

Actual Test Quote RN

I used data from 169 different users that connected to me when I was a supernode:

28% (47) shared nothing
    38% (64) shared less than 10 files
    66% (112) shared less than 100 files
    96% (162) shared less than 1000 files

So 40% of all FastTrack users are leechers. No surprise, really.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    nice post but I doubt leeches would care for this.
    And RN sort of figured out that nearly half of the Fasttrack network doesn't share but still, the files get through.

although leeches are big, they aren't that powerful.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    kAb's Avatar Poster
    when i first got napster a long time ago, i leeched :">

i thought that if i shared, hackers could crack into my computer and fuck it up.
    then a couple months after that i saw the light and changed my ways.
    but then Napster died and i moved on to kazaa and then to k-lite

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    what kind of light was it?

I don't agree with leeching. it pisses me off when people upload from me but yet they don't share...

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    My 2 ören (Swedish currency, 100 öre = 1 Krona (or Crown if you wish to translate))

Good post!
    This was actually the reason I didn't share in the beginning, or I had strict upload limits...
    I started to share, when I realised upload wasn't affecting download. So used to modems...

ADSL ~60kb/s full duplex, sharing 500+ files....

/Starchild

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    kAb's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by lunatacs@15 March 2003 - 12:39
    what kind of light was it?

I don't agree with leeching. it pisses me off when people upload from me but yet they don't share...
    I learned that somebody cant hack you just because you’re sharing

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast