Thread: What Pgms Are Good To ...

I've recently got a computer built for me and the guy bought some generic brand 512mb ram stick,.......and i was told to run a series of tests on it to make sure that nothing is faulty for it...

so what programs do you suggest that you have personally used that's good and run thorough tests?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Memtest86
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Yep memtest is good, I like the ulimate boot disk cd for people without a floppy . It has two or three mem testers.

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_desc...,RSS,RSS,00.asp

Edit : link

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    yeah, i downloaded the mem86 zip but i have no clue how to use it....it's dos formated or something, and i'm not a pc whiz.....

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Originally posted by mikenmike0001@4 August 2004 - 07:26
    yeah, i downloaded the mem86 zip but i have no clue how to use it....it's dos formated or something, and i'm not a pc whiz.....
    There are two version, a floppy image and a CD image.
    If the file in your zip file has an .iso extension then it's a CD image to be burned using anything you like.
    I don't know what's in the other zip as I've only used the bootale CD image - perhaps the website has information.

Basically, you insert your memtest86 floppy or CD and reboot the system so that memtest runs. From there it's pretty self-explanatory.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    well downloading it off of their site is like only 1. something megabytes...... i don't have a floppy drive installed on this...but....i see an install.bat file and a rawrite.exe file......

any other memeory testers that are good...? i hear something called sondra....

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Originally posted by mikenmike0001@4 August 2004 - 22:37
    well downloading it off of their site is like only 1. something megabytes...... i don't have a floppy drive installed on this...but....i see an install.bat file and a rawrite.exe file......

any other memeory testers that are good...? i hear something called sondra....
    You mean Sisoft Sandra? It will tell you what specs your computer has, like memory type etc. Don't know if it test's it tho.