Thread: Encoding

newcster68's Avatar Taxicab Co. Owner
    I just encoded this 30 sec commercial about the 4400 tv series. Can all tell me how the quality looks and if the 3mb size is still too big for a 30 sec spot.

Im using xvid codec but dont know what exact settings to use to make the picture come out any better. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

http://s2.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=542FDB10...0545AA6D0841AF8

2. Movies & TV   -   #2
    newcster68's Avatar Taxicab Co. Owner
    comon guys..geez already 10 views at my post and not any of you can help out here.

3. Movies & TV   -   #3
    Robert00000's Avatar Interweb Fantasist BT Rep: +1
    i havnt looked at the vid cos i'm on the wrong computer (this one doesnt have xvid codec installed).

But in general the quality of the picture and the size of the file is determined by the bitrate.

If you want to increase the quality you should increase the bitrate, however it depends on the source file as well, there is no point in increasing the bitrate if the quality is the same on the source. YOU CANNOT IMPROVE ON THE SOURCE FILE.
    Robert00000

4. Movies & TV   -   #4
    Retired
    quality is good for a 3 mb file.

was the original file a vcd/svcd?

5. Movies & TV   -   #5
    TheRealDave's Avatar †Problem child
    Originally posted by newcster68@2 August 2004 - 20:17
    comon guys..geez already 10 views at my post and not any of you can help out here.
    Not everyone here is an expert.

Edit. Or would you prefer 10 replies of 'I dont know.'?

6. Movies & TV   -   #6
    Robert00000's Avatar Interweb Fantasist BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by newcster68@2 August 2004 - 17:58
    I just encoded this 30 sec commercial about the 4400 tv series. Can all tell me how the quality looks and if the 3mb size is still too big for a 30 sec spot.

Im using xvid codec but dont know what exact settings to use to make the picture come out any better. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

http://s2.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=542FDB10...0545AA6D0841AF8
    I've had a look on a different computer and the quality of the video doesnt justify the size.

The source file seems poor, you should have recorded it at higher quality, perhaps in dvd quality then encoded it into xvid/divx.

You can reduce the bitrate on this to decrease the size of the file, experiment at different bitrates to see how low you can take it before it shows a visible degrade in quality.

damn, i'm making sense (i think) even though i'm drunk
    Robert00000