Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ports For Bittorrent On A Zyxel Router?

Hi guys,

I am sorry if this has been asked before.

I was wondering if someone can help me. i got a new isp today, and i am using a zixel 650 router. If i want to use bittorrent, then what ports do i need to forword, for giving it full acsess?

Thanks.

DVDLOVER25

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    CornerPocket's Avatar Retired
    For most people it's sufficient to open 6881- 6889.

and should you need to know how to port forward, see Portforward.com.
    "8-ball Corner Pocket"

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    thanks for yuor time and help

i will try this.

DVDLOVER25

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    You don't need to open anything but 1 port. That it's. All the others don't effect your download if their not open. Should you decide to allow a range of ports then you can do that too.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    muchspl2
    Originally posted by shn@3 August 2004 - 16:59
    You don't need to open anything but 1 port. That it's. All the others don't effect your download if their not open. Should you decide to allow a range of ports then you can do that too.
    that not true, unless you use azureus it ONLY uses one port
    Prior to version 3.2, BitTorrent by default uses ports in the range of 6881-6889. As of 3.2 and later, the range has been extended to 6881-6999. (These are all TCP ports, BitTorrent does not use UDP.) The client starts with the lowest port in the range and sequentially tries higher ports until it can find one to which it can bind. This means that the first client you open will bind to 6881, the next to 6882, etc. Therefore, you only really need to open as many ports as simultaneous BitTorrent clients you would ever have open. For most people it's sufficient to open 6881-6889.
    http://www.dessent.net/btfaq/ source

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    I have exactly the same router:

Don't open ports 6881-...., a lot of ISP cap the speeds over these ports. I changed my port forwarding to 4949 and have a speed which is at least twice as before...

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    rrtn's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by SirFurious@5 August 2004 - 15:49

Don't open ports 6881-...., a lot of ISP cap the speeds over these ports. I changed my port forwarding to 4949 and have a speed which is at least twice as before...
    who is your isp?

8. BitTorrent   -   #8

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Originally posted by SirFurious@5 August 2004 - 21:49

Hi,

Sorry but i am a bit new to this port stuff. So you meen that i should not open port 6881-6999, but instead only open port 4949???

Will i have to adjust anything on my ABC Client too? or what else do i need to do?

Btw my ISP is Firstmile.

Thanks again guys.

DVDLOVER25

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Benno's Avatar Poster
    You have to forward the ports you have set in your BT client.

In ABC the standard ports are 6881-6999

If you want to change the ports it uses go to action -> preferences -> Network
    There you can set your minimum and maximum port. Then forward these ports on your router

You Better Keep In Mind That I Can Read Between The Lines

Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to there level and beat you with experience!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast