Thread: A Sad Farewell

vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Rest in peace little girl.

please let me be wrong and there be a heaven and you are in it

story
    A young cancer patient who started a lemonade stand to raise money for cancer research, sparking a nationwide fund-raising campaign that has raised hundreds of thousands of dollars, has died at her home. She was 8.

Alexandra Scott, of Wynnewood, whose battle with pediatric cancer captured hearts nationwide, "passed on peacefully with us holding her hands," her parents, Jay and Liz Scott, said in an e-mail, The Philadelphia Inquirer reported Monday.

"She just slipped away," Liz Scott told the paper Sunday. "You could see when she was ready. She let off a big sigh, and went off to sleep. She was very calm. For that, we're grateful. You're always fearful it's going to be scary."

A call and an e-mail sent to the family Sunday night were not immediately returned to The Associated Press.

Alexandra, diagnosed just before her first birthday with neuroblastoma, an aggressive form of childhood cancer, decided to set up a lemonade stand to raise money for treatment. She took in $2,000 that first year, and a series of stands had raised a total of $200,000 after four years.

In June, lemonade stand fund-raisers were set up in all 50 states, as well as in Canada and France, and Alexandra and her family appeared on Oprah Winfrey's TV program and the "Today" show.

Alex hoped that her Alex's Lemonade Stand charity would raise $1 million this year for cancer research. The effort has passed the $700,000 mark, and Volvo of North America had pledged to hold a fall fund-raising event to assure that the $1 million goal would be reached, Liz Scott said.

Since June, Alex's quality of life had dropped off, and her health had severely deteriorated in the last few days, her mother said. Still, her daughter was determined to push forward even as her condition worsened, she said.

"She had a lot of faith and faith in research and trying the newest things," Liz Scott said.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    BigBank_Hank's Avatar Move It On Over
    A truly sad story.

I hope that they continue on with the lemonade sales as a tribute to her.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    This type of Bravery brings tears to my eyes, really.

There is absolutely nothing i can think of, that would describe how i feel right now.

My Deepest Sympathies go to her family and friends, and everyone that ever had the pleasure of meeting such a sweetheart.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Incredible courage occasionally comes in very small packages.

I remember seeing Alexandra a few years ago appearing on a talk-type television show; I was only paying slight attention when I looked at the screen and actually saw her as she began to speak.

I was struck at the joy with which she described her idea, her work, and her aim; and it occurred to me that she was so untouched by the tragedy of her own situation, and without a shred of the cynicism that can afflict even the youngest victims of incredible physical misfortune.

She literally shone with the conviction of her cause, and although she was accompanied by her father as I recall, there was overall the impression that she had done all her own thinking about her project, and that her words were her own.

I remember how her father had very little to say, only because none of his words were required; he was so proud of her and her ability to carry her own message.

There are so many lessons in their story, not the least of which being how Alex buoyed her parents through her sickness; she's not there to help them anymore.

My heart breaks for their loss.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    If there is nothing she rests in peace, if there is something the purveyors of grim theology will find their locks and gates confounded.

May her parents find some solace in the memories she has given them.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    sArA's Avatar Ex-Moderatererer
    Her death, although not unexpected, can be seen as both a tragedy and yet a relief after so many years of suffering.

It is also a stark reminder of the need for more research into cancer of all types.

Hopefully her legacy in bravery, strength, and depth of character will act as an inspiration to others.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    SuperJude™'s Avatar IRC Interloper
    That a kid could do all that while sick is....profound. To be so aware at such an age under such circumstances is moving in a way I can't think of much more to type other than bravo Alex, and for her parents for supporting her in this pursuit and suffering this loss.

-SJ™
    "We Love You SuperJude!"- the fans