Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 100 Mbps

manker's Avatar effendi
    Originally posted by SingaBoiy@4 August 2004 - 12:49
    Just so you know... kbps usually means Kbits/s not bytes.

For you to be getting 537 kbps on a 3300 kbps connection is very bad.

To determine how many BYTES you get per second. Take your connection speed and devide it by 8. There are 8 bits in a byte.

100 Mbps would be around 12.5 kB/s (bytes).

That site doesnt appear to be very accurate either.
    First off 100mbps is just what it says, 100 megabits per second, or 100,000 kilobits per second or 12500 kilobytes per second. That is not his connection rate. It is likely his ethernet card speed - the speed that it connects to the other computers on his home network, if he had one, not the speed that it's connecting to the internet.

No home users have 100mbps connections, not even in Sweden

Also the dividing by eight thing to convert from bits to bytes is OK if you live in your ISP's headquarters, if not then you have to allow for bad connections and dirty lines, making the true divisory factor nearer 10, on average I'd say about 9.5.

Btw to differentiate if "they" mean kiloBYTES per second or kiloBITS per second on official literature you look at how it's written. Kilobytes = Kbps and kilobits = kbps (note the capital 'K&#39
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

2. File Sharing   -   #12
    muchspl2
    unless you live in japan or have FTTH line you ain't got 100mbits

3. File Sharing   -   #13
    BawA's Avatar FST Pioneer BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by manker+4 August 2004 - 01:45--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (manker @ 4 August 2004 - 01:45)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Gilojeleia@3 August 2004 - 21:50
    What speed is 100 Mbps? Ive test it on Numion Numion and the result was: 250 - 300 kbps.

1. The browser that Im using changes anything in the results?
    2. What 100 Mbps (the speed according to the connection status of Windows) and the result of the test 250 - 300 kbps means?
    Your question is not too clear but I think the 100mbps refers to the speed windows can connect at, that is the speed it could transfer data to another computer if your PC was on a network. You don&#39;t need to be concerned with that for downloading.

Answer #1 - The browser you use shouldn&#39;t make any difference for download speed when your connection is maxed but some browsers are better than others at a more subtle level, Firefox is the best, all round.

Answer #2 - The 250-300 kbps likely refers to your download speed, i.e. you can transfer files to your PC at around 300kbps, that relates to a connection of around 2 megabits (2 mbps) [/b][/quote]
    #1) The kind of browser u use makes lots of diffrence, i used IE to test my speed and i didnt get half of my real speed then i used FireFox and i got almost 70% of my real Speed.

#2) 100Mb is not ur banfwitdh its Local Area network&#39;s bandwtidh
    300Kb/s is good, u probley have the 512Kbits/s download and 256kbits/s upload connection which ull get arround 70 to 80kbs when u download.

"You can be mad as a mad dog at the way things went; you can swear and curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go"
    Benjamen button

4. File Sharing   -   #14
    Windows reports the possible connection speed of your NIC card. The real speed can be tested on a number of sites on the WEb or just by using a good p2p client and downloading/uploading a lot of files.

Sharing is Caring...... Be Safe......

5. File Sharing   -   #15
    so where are these connection speed testers located??? I have High Speed Cable Internet so i wanted to see whats the highest i cn go.

6. File Sharing   -   #16
    Keikan's Avatar ........
    128kb = 1000bits
    Ohh noo!!! I make dribbles!!!

7. File Sharing   -   #17
    Originally posted by Resident_Evil255@7 August 2004 - 16:22
    so where are these connection speed testers located??? I have High Speed Cable Internet so i wanted to see whats the highest i cn go.
    www.dslreports.com
    Need a cheap/easy way of modding your xbox? Check this out.

8. File Sharing   -   #18

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12