Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Longhorn Questions...

Originally posted by wizzandabe@23 March 2003 - 12:05
    come on man, every one knows i am/was the master of onghorn around here (in my time)
    Braggers always fail first.

I remember when I first got Longhorn 4008. I had it the second day it came out. I was waiting for almost two hours being queued on IRC. At the same time I got the file, the crack was released for 4008.

My opinion is that there's more work involved to install Longhorn 3683 instead of 4008. 4008 uses Windows Pre-Installation Environment so that it installs faster. The Plex Theme in 4008 has improved a great deal compared to the old one.

Saying that it sucks is quite a stupid remark. Everybody knows that software in the Alpha stage is a piece of crap. If it was in a Beta stage and you said it sucks, I wouldn't care. If you didn't know this, in the Alpha stage, MS just mixes some thigns together from different things and sees what happens. Its just trial and error.

Longhorn is going to be a great piece of software. Just wait for the final release and see what I mean.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    skelley521's Avatar puter ghost
    **Several friends said that after following the teak method for longhorn all is good.

Now the tweaking...You do not need to preform all these steps but each one helps optimize your computer.

9) First off right click the taskbar and click properties. Uncheck Sidebar, Group Similiar Items, Hide inactive icons. Then click the Start Menu tab. In there select the 'Classic Start Menu' option and click ok.

10) Next, right click on the desktop and click properties. From the themes dropbox click 'Windows Classic'. Then click the 'Settings' tab. Increase your resoultion here if you wish. Then move on to the 'Appearance' tab. Click effects button and uncheck Tranisition Effect,
    Smooth Edges, Show shadow under menus, and Show window contents while dragging boxes. Click OK.

11) Right-Click 'My Computer' and select properties. Click the 'Advanced' Tab. Click the Settings button under Performance. Another box will pop-up and in there select 'Adjust for best performance' and click ok. Then click on the 'Remote' tab. Uncheck any boxs in there and click ok.

12) Now for the dirty part. Click start > run. Type 'services.msc' (without the quotes). All the services i have listed below should be disabled to increase performance!

Automatic Updates
    Castle Service
    Error Reporting Service
    IPSEC Services
    Remote Registry
    System Restore Service
    To disable these services double-click them and from the dropdown box choose 'disabled' and click OK.

13) Now goto Start > Run...type 'msconfig' (without the quotes). Click the 'Startup' tab. Uncheck everything and click ok.

14) Now to remove all the unnecessary stuff from longhorn!

a) Open the file C:\Windows\Inf\sysoc.inf in notepad
    b ) Delete all instances of the word hide and save changes and exit notepad.
    c) Click Start > Control Panel
    d) Click “Add or Remove Programs”.
    e) When the Add or Remove Programs dialog appears, click “Add/Remove Windows Components”
    f) The Windows Components Wizard should appear within a few seconds/minutes depending on the speed of your computer.
    g) Uninstall the following components:

Automatic Updates
    WinFS (Windows Future Storage Services)
    Windows Storage Full-Text Index

15) Now to tweak the explorer. Open My Computer. From there click tools > folder options.
    Then click the view tab. Uncheck the following:

Automatically search for network folders and printers
    Choose smart icon size when opening new windows
    Display File Icon on Thumbnails
    Display file size information in folder tips
    Display simple folder view in Explorer’s Folder list
    Hidden Files and Folders – Select Show hidden files and folders
    Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)
    Use NEW breadcrumb bar
    Use Domain folder sharing wizard
    Use simple file sharing (Recommended)

and check the following:

Disable Preview Pane
    Display the Contents of system folders

And your set  Enjoy!!!

Special Notes:
    1) You can use any Windows 2003 key and even activate with it but it will use up all your activations on that key.

2) Also, do not attempt to remove the build info from the desktop because if you do and restart windows will give you an error that states it cannot reteive the activational status and will fail to start.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12