Thread: Which Should I Get?

silent h3ro's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    If I sell my current computer I can prolly get 400 maybe 500 USD plus the 500 I already have ready to spend meaning maybe 900-1000 towards a new computer. My computer lately has been pissing me off with lagging and low aquamark score (23,154) even after overclocking igot 24,700. Anyways which should I get, a new HTTV and Divx player or new comp.? I have been thinking alot about both and wan't to get it over with and buy one or the other. Which should I get? Btw I don't have enough money for both.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    lee551's Avatar no soup for you! BT Rep: +5
    i'd go with the hdtv+dvp. then get a job and in a month you can have a new computer.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Originally posted by lee551@5 August 2004 - 00:53
    i'd go with the hdtv+dvp. then get a job and in a month you can have a new computer.
    I already have a job. So far this first month Ive only earned $500 ($6.50/hour). I don't work everyday.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    a nice HDTV should be good for at least 10 years, if not longer, if you take proper care of it. a new computer will be obsolete as soon as the next benchmark test comes out: "congratulations! last week's awesome PC is now this week's pile of worthless crap, so go buy a better one and run the test again!"

since you're a game player... well, if you play GameCube or Xbox then you'll be really pleased with how they look in progressive scan mode on even a 30"-32" screen. the screen doesn't need to be huge, the progressive scan still looks great. even older systems like Dreamcast or PS2 will look "nice," even though they don't take full advantage of an HDTV.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    what do u think you'd be happy with. personally I'd go with the HDTV + DIVX player then in a couple months buy a new pc (without moniter) and hook the pc up to the HDTV.

During the couple of months wait u can download divx movies and watch them on ur shiny new HDTV.
    Gaint Antispyware is the #1 greatest Spyware/Adware cleaner ever created, I recomend it to everybody, even if you don't think you need it.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Originally posted by pc-gamer-dude@5 August 2004 - 00:59
    what do u think you'd be happy with. personally I'd go with the HDTV + DIVX player then in a couple months buy a new pc (without moniter) and hook the pc up to the HDTV.

During the couple of months wait u can download divx movies and watch them on ur shiny new HDTV.
    How would I hook the computer to the new t.v.?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    use a graphics card with S-Video output, which actually looks decent on an HDTV. or lay out a bit more $$$ and get a card with HDTV output, which would look a bit nicer.

like this for example: http://www.ati.com/products/hdtvadapter/faq.html

who knows... you might already have a card which supports HDTV, and all that's required is the adapter add-on.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Originally posted by 3RA1N1AC@5 August 2004 - 01:11
    use a graphics card with S-Video output, which actually looks decent on an HDTV. or lay out a bit more $$$ and get a card with HDTV output, which would look a bit nicer.

Hmm sound good to me. I guess i'll get the HDTV now and wait until 64 bit windows comes out and buy then ill have enough money for a good 64 bit sytem to connect to my HDTV.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Originally posted by HardcoreGamer+5 August 2004 - 00:16--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (HardcoreGamer @ 5 August 2004 - 00:16)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-3RA1N1AC@5 August 2004 - 01:11
    use a graphics card with S-Video output, which actually looks decent on an HDTV.&nbsp; or lay out a bit more &#036;&#036;&#036; and get a card with HDTV output, which would look a bit nicer.

Hmm sound good to me. I guess i&#39;ll get the HDTV now and wait until 64 bit windows comes out and buy then ill have enough money for a good 64 bit sytem to connect to my HDTV. [/b][/quote]
    a good 64bit gamiing system should cost u about &#036;1200 or so depending on how good u want ur games to play. so it should only take 2 months accordign to how much u say u make a month. by then prices on stuff might fall a bit and be cheaper then now.

and ur plan sounds perfect.
    Gaint Antispyware is the #1 greatest Spyware/Adware cleaner ever created, I recomend it to everybody, even if you don't think you need it.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Originally posted by pc&#045;gamer&#045;dude+5 August 2004 - 01:25--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (pc-gamer-dude @ 5 August 2004 - 01:25)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by HardcoreGamer@5 August 2004 - 00:16
    <!--QuoteBegin-3RA1N1AC
    @5 August 2004 - 01:11
    use a graphics card with S-Video output, which actually looks decent on an HDTV. or lay out a bit more &#036;&#036;&#036; and get a card with HDTV output, which would look a bit nicer.

Hmm sound good to me. I guess i&#39;ll get the HDTV now and wait until 64 bit windows comes out and buy then ill have enough money for a good 64 bit sytem to connect to my HDTV.
    a good 64bit gamiing system should cost u about &#036;1200 or so depending on how good u want ur games to play. so it should only take 2 months accordign to how much u say u make a month. by then prices on stuff might fall a bit and be cheaper then now.

and ur plan sounds perfect. [/b][/quote]
    Sweet. Thx for all the help guys&#33;