clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    You might also look around in here.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    (>Zero Cool<)'s Avatar he is Spartacus!
    about four feet that way......no the other way
    Originally posted by clocker@5 August 2004 - 12:43
    You might also look around in here.
    thanks clocker izzard , should I expect to see mention of you in there?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Not in that section...I have AMD.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    ok Ihave hit a brick wall at fsb set at 237 vcore 1.550, giving me a Mhz of a p4 3.0 (3056 Mhz), which is a good jump for a p4 2.6, but I have to say I expected a little higher would I be correct in that assumption?

any other suggestions?

Also I was wondering if I should look into buying a better heatsink/fan, currently I am running with the standard intel one that came with the chip?

Also also although I have set my vcore to 1.55 in bios in cpuz and mbm it is slightly lower, this was also the case when I tried setting the vcore to 1.575.

perhaps I should change my user name to zero clue

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    don&#39;t up vcore unless u have no choice, especially cuz u have a stock hsf. becuz of the good cooling ur case has, up the vdimm and change the ram speeds to 320. mines at 1.65V running 320mhz. my vcore is in auto, and it doesn&#39;t go higher than 1.6V. usually it&#39;s 1.58V ish. don&#39;t oc ur ram yet. keep default timings. make sure ur cpu is working b4 u oc ur ram. ur ram should prob take more ocing than ur cpu. don&#39;t up the vcore unless u have to. up the vdimm. change the ram speed to 320 instead of 400. then u should do fine for a small increment. becuz u have stock hsf, u won&#39;t get far.
    heres my settings for my 2.4c oced to 3.2:
    vcore: <1.6V
    ram: 320
    vdimm: 1.65V
    cpu clock: 266
    *er: 12X
    u might not get this much cuz of ur stock hsf though. good luck&#33;

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Originally posted by abu_has_the_power@5 August 2004 - 23:38
    don&#39;t up vcore unless u have no choice, especially cuz u have a stock hsf. becuz of the good cooling ur case has, up the vdimm and change the ram speeds to 320. mines at 1.65V running 320mhz. my vcore is in auto, and it doesn&#39;t go higher than 1.6V. usually it&#39;s 1.58V ish. don&#39;t oc ur ram yet. keep default timings. make sure ur cpu is working b4 u oc ur ram. ur ram should prob take more ocing than ur cpu. don&#39;t up the vcore unless u have to. up the vdimm. change the ram speed to 320 instead of 400. then u should do fine for a small increment. becuz u have stock hsf, u won&#39;t get far.
    thanks very much for your help abu

I had a look around and apparently the 2.6 hits the wall at 3.25 in all but a few cases, still that would do me just fine

I didn&#39;t realise messing with the ram would help, what does the vdimm do to assist my oc?

srry each answer I get seems to be followed with another question from me

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    Originally posted by (>Zero Cool<)+5 August 2004 - 18:46--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE ((>Zero Cool<) @ 5 August 2004 - 18:46)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-abu_has_the_power@5 August 2004 - 23:38

I had a look around and apparently the 2.6 hits the wall at 3.25 in all but a few cases, still that would do me just fine

I didn&#39;t realise messing with the ram would help, what does the vdimm do to assist my oc?

srry each answer I get seems to be followed with another question from me [/b][/quote]
    ur cpu clock and ur ram clock are in ratio. ram at 400 is 1:1. 320 is some other ratio (forgot the number). in order to increase cpu speed, u&#39;ll need to decrease ram speed. ram speed decrease won&#39;t affect ur cpu performance taht much, but it&#39;s a sacrifice u need to make in order to oc ur cpu higher. if u keep it at 1:1 (400), u won&#39;t get far with ocing

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Originally posted by abu_has_the_power+5 August 2004 - 23:54--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (abu_has_the_power @ 5 August 2004 - 23:54)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by (>Zero Cool<)@5 August 2004 - 18:46
    <!--QuoteBegin-abu_has_the_power
    @5 August 2004 - 23:38

srry each answer I get seems to be followed with another question from me
    ur cpu clock and ur ram clock are in ratio. ram at 400 is 1:1. 320 is some other ratio (forgot the number). in order to increase cpu speed, u&#39;ll need to decrease ram speed. ram speed decrease won&#39;t affect ur cpu performance taht much, but it&#39;s a sacrifice u need to make in order to oc ur cpu higher. if u keep it at 1:1 (400), u won&#39;t get far with ocing [/b][/quote]
    ok, I geddit thanks

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    lynx's Avatar .
    I&#39;ll agree with abu on some points, and disagree on others.

Yes, you need to change the cpu:ram speed ratio so that you aren&#39;t overclocking your ram (yet). If the option is available you also need to look at AGP/PCI speed to make sure you aren&#39;t overclocking this too. It is simply a case of altering the speed of one thing at a time in order to get the best performance out of everything.

Increasing Vdimm, how will this help OCing? Well if you aren&#39;t OCing your ram it won&#39;t help a bit, but it will make your ram a bit hotter, and generally warm things up in your case. However, remember about it for later. Once you&#39;ve got the processor stable at high speed you will want to try to put the cpu:ram speed ratio back to 1:1. However, I don&#39;t think that should be a problem with your pc4000 memory, it should be able to run at 250MHz as standard.

Don&#39;t worry about voltage readings in CPUZ and MBM5, the onboard sensor chips aren&#39;t that accurate anyway. They are really only useful as a rough guide if things are a long way off spec.

Interesting to note that Abu&#39;s memory is overvolted to 1.65v. All the memory I&#39;ve come across recently runs at about 2.5v (nominal), which makes me think that maybe he&#39;s not talking about Vdimm after all. He could be talking about Vio which would make more sense and might have the effect he&#39;s talking about, but I&#39;ve never seen a board where you could adjust this.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast