Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Vets Charge: Kerry Killed Fleeing Teen

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Then my question would be, if quite literally everyone is of the opinion Kerry's service was so laudable and over-the-top heroic, why does there seem to be such dissent on the part of those who were there over exactly how to characterize it?

There is definitely smoke here, though neither the fire nor it's nature may ever be revealed.

In my opinion, the vitriollic flavor of some of the commentary is as acidic as standard-issue Bush-hate.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. The Drawing Room   -   #32
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    J2K4,

A book was published a while back saying that the other boat was 700 yds away.. they are now claiming they were "a few yards away".

This contradicts his own crew, and the guy he rescued.

What im saying is that the accusers, judging by where their money and loyalties lie, are not exactly an unbiased lot.

And at least one of them has already publically retracted what is shown in their book and the ad.

I aint saying who's right... the system of getting Medals in the US Forces has always been a mystery to Brits... you seem to get them for opening the doors for officers as much as anything

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

3. The Drawing Room   -   #33
    BigBank_Hank's Avatar Move It On Over
    RF honestly I could really care less what he did or didn’t do in Vietnam. This wouldn’t even be an issue if he would stop ramming it down everyone’s throats even 10 seconds. He is solely to blame for this entire mess because he constantly is trumpeting his Vietnam record.

And on the Vet how made a statement then said he changed his mind: in typical Kerry fashion he to has changed his mind again, now he’s sticking by his original statement.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #34
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Just so.

My point is that opinions as to the exact nature of Kerry's service seem to run the gamut, and in most cases are sincerely held.

Heroism of the type he is said to have exhibited would, I think, be a straight-up, straightforward proposition; I wonder therefore why there is this diametric opposition?

If officers of his own peerage are willing to denounce him, I'm betting it's because they've taken umbrage at his conduct upon his return from Viet Nam.

I don't like Kerry, that's not a secret, and one of the reasons is the political opportunism he demonstrated when he came back; it doesn't quite square with his much-touted actions in the field:

"I, along with everybody else, committed horrible crimes over in 'Nam, and I'm here to tell you we shouldn't be over there, but boy, was I heroic, you should have seen me-I was one gung-ho S.O.B.; I've got it all on film, wanna see it?"

????
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

5. The Drawing Room   -   #35
    BigBank_Hank's Avatar Move It On Over
    J2,

Don’t you find it funny how when Kerry’s war record comes into question everyone’s questioning his patriotism, but what about when all the libs were screaming that Bush went AWOL? President Bush has to dig up old military pay stubs to prove that he did not go AWOL, but when Kerry comes under fire it’s a non issue and we’re questioning his patriotism.

I could care less either way because Kerry’s 20 year voting record is what sealed the deal for me not his service in Vietnam.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #36
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by BigBank_Hank@9 August 2004 - 14:20

I could care less either way because Kerry’s 20 year voting record is what sealed the deal for me not his service in Vietnam.
    Kerry's service record IS an issue simply becase Bush has put the country into a military stance...we have troops on the ground, actively invading another country.
    This is no hit-and-run op...hell, even Tommy Franks now says we're going to be in there for five years.
    The fact that Kerry has experienced war on a personal level would certainly seem to be a positive qualification, given the times.
    Furthermore, in my experience it is not uncommon for Vietnam vets to be of two minds about their service during that war.
    Keep in mind, I am a direct peer to most of that group (college deferment for me) and now, with the perspective afforded by the passage of 35 years, many of the participants are not as gung-ho as once they were.

Hank, if Bush had possessed ANY record of government service prior to becoming govenor and then President, you can bet HIS voting records would be riddled with the "Flip-Flops" the Republicans are so fond of smearing Kerry with.
    Heck, just since the beginning of his Presidency Bush has swapped position many times on major issues.
    Remember the famous "We're not going to be a nation-builder" plank from the 2000 Republican convention plank?
    Or the promise to increase the Federal budget surplus?
    Hmmm?
    Fact is, you'd be hard pressed to find even a single promise that Bush made in order to win the Presidency that he has kept.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

7. The Drawing Room   -   #37
    spinningfreemanny's Avatar I'm everything you want
    tax cuts

easy
    Do you know everything? do you know 3% of everything? Could it be that what you don't believe in is in the other 97%?

8. The Drawing Room   -   #38
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by spinningfreemanny@9 August 2004 - 16:20
    tax cuts

easy
    Which benefitted corporations and the very rich...not exactly what I remember the promise being.
    Furthermore, cutting taxes at all while wildly increasing the federal budget and dramatically increasing spending for the Iraq war is so amazingly stupid and wrongheaded that even Republicans are balking at the Federal budget he proposes.
    Of course, why should Bush care?
    Even should he win in November and retain office for 4 more years ( I shudder at the thought) it's going to be his successor who will have to deal with the disaster that Bush and his harebrained economic policies are going to leave behind.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

9. The Drawing Room   -   #39
    spinningfreemanny's Avatar I'm everything you want
    I don't know about you but my family got a cool grand out of it

Edit: and were not rich at all
    Do you know everything? do you know 3% of everything? Could it be that what you don't believe in is in the other 97%?

10. The Drawing Room   -   #40
    Originally posted by BigBank_Hank+9 August 2004 - 11:25--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (BigBank_Hank &#064; 9 August 2004 - 11:25)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>ramming it down everyone’s throats[/b]

interesting choice of words. is there anything the other major candidate could possibly say or do, that you&#39;d describe as "throat ramming"? WMD? Mission Accomplished? those Christmas videos of his dog that ran on every news channel? it seems like (not counting time spent thumbing through Penthouse Forum at the 7-11) i only ever read "ram it down my throat" in reference to things that one disagrees with, similar to how one usually only calls someone a whiner when one disagrees with him.

<!--QuoteBegin-j2k4

If officers of his own peerage are willing to denounce him, I&#39;m betting it&#39;s because they&#39;ve taken umbrage at his conduct upon his return from Viet Nam.[/quote]
    i&#39;d bet similarly. to speculate further would prolly be foolish, so i&#39;ll leave it at that.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast