Page 1 of 29 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows Xp Service Pack 2

Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Post edited again: Removed previous (no longer relevant information) and updated.

Windows XP Service Pack 2 build 2180 Released To Manufacturing

New Product logo:

This is a pic of the official winxp sp2 logo/name that will be used for the XP reloaded marketing.

Click for larger view:

Get the official release network install final version of XP Service Pack 2 directly from Microsoft:

Download from here: Microsoft site.

Or try here.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    iMartin's Avatar ♥Home Grown♥ BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    Thanks for the update VB. Looking forward to the final release.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Apparently the final verson of sp2 is on windows beta
    I just logged on to Windows Beta though, and there is a "Final Build" available called "WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe" (266.01 MB) so I'll start pulling it down.
    There are 10 types of people in the world those who understand binary and those who dont

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    TheRealDave's Avatar †Problem child
    Will I have to download SP1 first? Or can i go straight to SP2 without getting SP1?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    you can go straight to sp2 as sp2 is cumulative (it has all fixes from sp1 and all updates since included)

you will need probably need to change your cd key if you use teh corp version
    There are 10 types of people in the world those who understand binary and those who dont

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Here's the official message in full from Microsoft:

Final testing is complete and at 10:08am this morning we signed off on build 2180 as Windows XP Service Pack 2, releasing it to manufacturing. The final build will be available to beta sites immediately at http://windowsbeta.microsoft.com/download/dl3.asp. You will find both English and German versions there, Japanese will follow early next week.

Next week the service pack will be available on the Microsoft Download Center for general download. In the interim we're making the update available to you via the beta web site.

If you are running RC2, or any other build released to beta sites, we invite you to turn on Automatic Updates, and starting on August 10th your system will automatically download the express version of Windows XP SP2. For typical home users this is about a 75 MB download; for those on RC2 it should be less than 30 MB. As soon as the background download is complete, you will be prompted to install SP2 and to accept the EULA (SP2 does not install automatically even if Automatic Updates is set to automatically install security updates). If you have a modem connection, don't "Cancel" the update once it's in progress; just disconnect and when you reconnect later, it will automatcially pick up where it left off until it completes.

Windows XP Service Pack 2 Release Notes:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;835935

source: http://board.iexbeta.com/ibf10/index.php?s...pic=45182&st=60

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Tormentor's Avatar Searching The People
    So this is the final build? I am safe to install it?
    - Unleash The Power Of The Wii, Unlock It Today!
    http://www.castabet.net

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Originally posted by Tormentor@6 August 2004 - 19:14
    So this is the final build? I am safe to install it?
    It gets officially release on August, 9, 2004. I would wait till then... B)

Time for me to format.... B)

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    umm i have the final (i am in the windowsbeta program) i got this before the windows beta site crashed (phew) and its excellent

if any one wants it pm me and tell me hpw i should give it to u

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    It appears that illegal PIDs are being allowed on a Windows XP SP2 installation

Source:

http://www.msfn.org/

http://osnn.net/

I'm posting merely as to be informational. I'm not advocating piracy whatsoever, but it appears that the RTM build 2180 (along with the last beta before it, 2179) now accepts keys that were previously banned. It was rumored months ago that Microsoft would allow everyone to install SP2, as a kind of concession to those who pirated the software, in exchange for making the internet more secure. After all, the theory was that pirated versions of XP would continue shooting off spam and worms, etc. But then the rumor was denied by Microsoft, and all the betas of SP2 blocked pirated PIDs.

But now, it appears that Microsoft changed their mind, and this article, dated for August 5th, 2004, confirms it:

News source: Silicon Valley

Microsoft senior product manager Matt Pilla said virtually all Windows XP users will be able to download Service Pack 2, regardless of whether they have a legal or pirated copy of the operating system. Research firm IDC estimates that about 260 million copies have been sold.

I also checked around on other computer forums. Many users have reported that this is, indeed, true. Keys that were formerly banned from using Windows Update v5 are now, indeed, able to run it and download updates from it.

Page 1 of 29 123411 ... LastLast