Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Windows System Folder

Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    There is a feature in XP called Files and settings transfer wizard that would allow you to backup to CD and then import it again when you've created an account with your proposed name but I've never used it and don't know how it works, so this is how I'd do it...

Create a new folder anywhere you like and move the files you want to keep there.
    Create a temporary new user account with admin rights and login to it.
    Delete the user account you are using at the moment and elect to delete all files and settings when prompted.
    Delete the account folder inside C:\Documents and Settings\ - if you can't do this, reboot and try again, use Safe Mode if necessary.
    Search for and delete any references to the account name in the Windows folder and the registry.
    Reboot the machine and login to your new account again.
    Create a new user account with the name you want to use.
    Logout of the temporary account and login to the new permanent one.
    Move back the stuff you saved at the beginning.
    Delete the temporary user account, again electing to delete all files and settings.
    Reboot.

Just make sure you copy everything you want to keep at the beginning.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    blank BT Rep: +1
    ok that worked. Very long winded. Thanks though.
    Shut that cunt’s mouth or I’ll come over there and fuckstart her head.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    np.
    The reason I described it that way was that I've ended up with a strange extension on the end of the name for the user's folder a couple of times, but that way should prevent that.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    blank BT Rep: +1
    takes a bit of work. u have to rename some folders, u lose ur passwords etc in ie/firefox/etc and u have to re-do settings in some programs but so far, fingers crossed is working.
    Shut that cunt’s mouth or I’ll come over there and fuckstart her head.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12