Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 5 Years !

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by manker+7 August 2004 - 09:30--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (manker &#064; 7 August 2004 - 09:30)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-gemby&#33;@7 August 2004 - 15:17
    didn&#39;t they use a lot of propaganda (history word there) in those old days when you were a kipper&nbsp;

In all seriousness though Gembs, I doubt propaganda would have afected J2 that much when he was a kipper. When you have to share a TV between a whole street, as was the trend in those days, you don&#39;t get to see that many news reports [/b][/quote]
    There was surely propaganda, but it was much more apparent; also, the journalistic sins of omission and comission were not favored to quite the extent they are today.

There is, too, the difficulty of sorting through all the chaff these days.

Manker-

I&#39;m not quite that old; in any case, I&#39;ve had an addiction to reading that began very early on, and has never waned.

You&#39;re a bit of a kipper yet yourself, aren&#39;t you?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. Lounge   -   #12
    UcanRock2's Avatar Phantom Gander
    Chasing all those boys didn&#39;t help a bit...

3. Lounge   -   #13
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Originally posted by j2k4+7 August 2004 - 15:38--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (j2k4 @ 7 August 2004 - 15:38)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by manker@7 August 2004 - 09:30
    <!--QuoteBegin-gemby&#33;
    @7 August 2004 - 15:17
    didn&#39;t they use a lot of propaganda (history word there) in those old days when you were a kipper&nbsp;

In all seriousness though Gembs, I doubt propaganda would have afected J2 that much when he was a kipper. When you have to share a TV between a whole street, as was the trend in those days, you don&#39;t get to see that many news reports
    There was surely propaganda, but it was much more apparent; also, the journalistic sins of omission and comission were not favored to quite the extent they are today.

There is, too, the difficulty of sorting through all the chaff these days.

Manker-

I&#39;m not quite that old; in any case, I&#39;ve had an addiction to reading that began very early on, and has never waned.

You&#39;re a bit of a kipper yet yourself, aren&#39;t you? [/b][/quote]
    Of course, I&#39;ve seen enough of your posts to realise that you&#39;re not pensionable yet, though Gemby&#39;s post tickled me and I wanted to expound.

As for me being a kipper, It rather depends on your interpretation but I wouldn&#39;t say so
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

4. Lounge   -   #14
    Poster
    As Alan Partridge commented, he couldn&#39;t understand the famine thing. If they could afford to emigrate then surely they could afford to eat at a modestly priced restaurant.

5. Lounge   -   #15

6. Lounge   -   #16
    UcanRock2's Avatar Phantom Gander
    Originally posted by ziggyjuarez@7 August 2004 - 07:54
    That&#39;s what I did

7. Lounge   -   #17
    Gemby!'s Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by manker+7 August 2004 - 14:30--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (manker @ 7 August 2004 - 14:30)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-gemby&#33;@7 August 2004 - 15:17

In all seriousness though Gembs, I doubt propaganda would have afected J2 that much when he was a kipper. When you have to share a TV between a whole street, as was the trend in those days, you don&#39;t get to see that many news reports [/b][/quote]
    stop trying to discourage my use of smart words

Chasing all those boys didn&#39;t help a bit...
    :-"
    Single handedly destroying the NHS from the inside

8. Lounge   -   #18
    Originally posted by J&#39;Pol@7 August 2004 - 09:52
    As Alan Partridge commented, he couldn&#39;t&nbsp; understand the famine thing. If they could afford to emigrate then surely they could afford to eat at a modestly priced restaurant.
    Exactly so, but if spuds weren&#39;t on the menu, and desire was great, the market (the Evil American Market&#33;) dictated (dictatered?) relocation to the U.S.

The hardy Irish viewed the attendent hardship as small potatoes.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

9. Lounge   -   #19
    Originally posted by manker@7 August 2004 - 09:46
    Of course, I&#39;ve seen enough of your posts to realise that you&#39;re not pensionable yet, though Gemby&#39;s post tickled me and I wanted to expound.

Thank you, and I recognize your urge anent our Gemby-most of her posting here seems to be somewhat ticklish; I judge it to be a trait of lineage.

I&#39;d bet her whole family is rather comedic and witty.

-Mark Twain

10. Lounge   -   #20
    Poster
    Originally posted by j2k4+7 August 2004 - 19:07--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (j2k4 @ 7 August 2004 - 19:07)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-J&#39;Pol@7 August 2004 - 09:52
    As Alan Partridge commented, he couldn&#39;t understand the famine thing. If they could afford to emigrate then surely they could afford to eat at a modestly priced restaurant.
    Exactly so, but if spuds weren&#39;t on the menu, and desire was great, the market (the Evil American Market&#33;) dictated (dictatered?) relocation to the U.S.

The hardy Irish viewed the attendent hardship as small potatoes. [/b][/quote]
    Go to your room young man.

You have developed boabitis *sobs*.

Did you hear about the darts competition in the pub next to the convent. The dartist (if such is the word) threw a treble twenty and a single twenty. His third dart bounced of the board and hit a carmelite sister, severing her juglar and killing her almost immediately.

The score keeper had no option but to cry (in best Sid Wadell voice), "one nun dead and eighty".

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast