Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fabric Of Space

Poster
    Originally posted by SnnY@8 August 2004 - 12:39

Did I spend ten minutes posting that?
    When I started JP hadn't posted.
    Indeed mate.

You have been writing that post since before 01/01/2003.

It's a space time sort of doohicky.

2. Lounge   -   #12
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Food for thought, that.

Damn I'm slow, now I get it

3. Lounge   -   #13
    Chame1eon's Avatar Super Freak
    that makes sense i would be interesting to know hte details though
    I only licked you for the salt

4. Lounge   -   #14
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by Chame1eon@8 August 2004 - 21:34
    that makes sense i would be interesting to know hte details though
    Exactly how much of the details?

'Cos there's enough math to it to fill a bible. That is, if you want to learn about how everything works.

A black hole tho'...this is a good point to start I suppose.

And for one to be created you need (like it says) a star at least ten times bigger than the sun.

When it goes out it swells up (I think, the sun will do this, but unlike the sun...) then it will collapse, and at the same time release energy, the energy that goes out is a supernova and what remains behind is a black hole (any bodies orbiting the former star will also be a part of the black hole at this point, if it swelled up before its collapse).

Now, when a star of that size collapses, its weight remains behind but its volume gets much smaller, increasing its density to "infinity" (not strictly true, but it will have to do) it will have the same gravitational influence the star had on its surroundings but much more focused. Giving it a greater tendency to drag anything in that would have otherwise orbited a star of the same mass. Everything that goes in will naturally add to its gravitational pull.

Everything large enough, including you and I, influences the surrounding world with the gravitational pull of our mass. Even particles have a certain gravitic pull, and are attracted to one another. However, the greater the pull, the greater the influence and when it comes to a black hole...it's pulling at the walls (if we see the universe as a contained space) and everything else.

Now since "everything else" includes a lot more than you and I could possibly fathom, the effects of a black hole are very hard to explain in full. Basically, to try and illustrate it, you'd have to be able to imagine a universe that exists not in the three dimensions you think it does, but in eleven dimensions. (According to this it might be twelve dimensions, or we might even have to do away with the concept of fixed dimensionality.)

And, to make it even harder, we have m-theory (the eleventh dimension) which says that our universe exists in a macrospace, m-space, which also contains a possibly infinite number of other universes, giving us a reality where everything that could possibly happen, happens somewhere, according to m-theory, gravity, the gravity of us, and our black hole, is actually tunneled over from another universe. In that universe, gravity is a much stronger force, so much stronger in fact that that universe cannot contain it, and bleeds it over to our universe attaching it to everything here.

And, just for fun, we might add the theory of the projected universe. According to Hawking, you see, no information is never lost (information here mening the structure of quarks and such, I think) but since a black hole compresses matter the way it does, this is said to be impossible, everything can't be stored in a black hole, it'd have to be on the surface, and there's finite space available on the surface.

So therefore, some scientists say, our universe, and all the particles in it, must be a projection of something that exists on another plane, so that any information seemingly lost here, still exists on that other level.

Then there are these other objects in space, theoretical as of yet I think, called white holes, these are the opposites of black holes, in that they pump out matter and energy, rather than suck it in.

Whether white holes are black hole stuck on reverse, or at the other end of a tunnel to which a black hole is the other opening, or bleed over from another universe, or something else, I don't know.

So you see, asking for the details makes a tricky question.

EDits: forgot to close a parenthesis. And a damn "n" Had two apostrophes too many, and an "e", when will this end?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12