Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Would You

i found £250 in a rosebush on my paper-round and handed it in. tight SoB didnt even give me a christmas tip
    <span style='color:black'>websites that are actually good</span>
    http://www.sputnik7.com - music videos &amp; short films &amp; anime
    http://www.atomfilms.com - more short films
    http://www.howstuffworks.com - learning can be fun
    http://www.caedes.net - probably the best wallpapers on the net

2. The Drawing Room   -   #32
    Poster
    Originally posted by Everose@8 August 2004 - 19:27
    I suppose I could, J&#39;Pol, call it my conscience.

What I do know for sure is it is that part of my mind that is buried very deeply under my conscious, logical, reasoning mind. And it doesn&#39;t matter how I rationalize with my conscious mind, make excuses for my behaviours, etc.....the part that I call my subconscious mind is watching and remembering. And I also know that what we hold in that subconscious mind, if kept in and not dealt with will eventually find it&#39;s way out, whether it be physically or what.

I guess conscience is a good word for it. I know parents guide and teach their children to have a good and moral conscience. But I somehow feel it is already there, within each of us. We learn and sort.

I also know that one of the worst things that lay in my conscience is when I judge others. I haven&#39;t found the words to explain this yet, but I know it. Eveyone has within them their own judge. That is enough
    Nice post, thanks for that.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #33
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Having thought about this and unfortunately knowing myself, probably not but I would like to think I might.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

4. The Drawing Room   -   #34
    Poster
    Originally posted by Biggles@8 August 2004 - 21:29
    Having thought about this and unfortunately knowing myself, probably not but I would like to think I might.
    You wouldn&#39;t and you know it.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #35
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Originally posted by J&#39;Pol+8 August 2004 - 20:43--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (J&#39;Pol @ 8 August 2004 - 20:43)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Biggles@8 August 2004 - 21:29
    Having thought about this and unfortunately knowing myself, probably not but I would like to think I might.&nbsp;
    You wouldn&#39;t and you know it. [/b][/quote]

A man can dream damn it&#33;
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

6. The Drawing Room   -   #36
    spinningfreemanny's Avatar I'm everything you want
    Originally posted by Everose@8 August 2004 - 18:27
    I guess conscience is a good word for it.&nbsp; I know parents guide and teach their children to have a good and moral conscience.&nbsp; But I somehow feel it is already there, within each of us.&nbsp; We learn and sort.
    Some people through history have effectively turned their subconscience off.

Do you think that they can convince themselves that it&#39;s a good thing to kill millions?

Personally, I&#39;m not so trusting of the human psyche.
    Do you know everything? do you know 3% of everything? Could it be that what you don't believe in is in the other 97%?

7. The Drawing Room   -   #37
    Poster
    Originally posted by spinningfreemanny+9 August 2004 - 05:37--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (spinningfreemanny &#064; 9 August 2004 - 05:37)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-Everose@8 August 2004 - 18:27
    I guess conscience is a good word for it. I know parents guide and teach their children to have a good and moral conscience. But I somehow feel it is already there, within each of us. We learn and sort.
    Some people through history have effectively turned their subconscience off.

Do you think that they can convince themselves that it&#39;s a good thing to kill millions?

Personally, I&#39;m not so trusting of the human psyche. [/b][/quote]
    Good question. We know so little about the human brain. I was watching a program the other night about spree killers. They have done a lot of testing and have picked up unusual brain activity in the back of the brain in people that kill. I wish I had caught the name of the Dr. who had done this testing, as I would like to learn more about it....what part of the brain, etc.

I have been watching with interest the effects of so called miracle drugs on serotonin levels, etc. People becoming violent or committing suicide after being put on SSRI&#39;s. Bears watching. Sad that there will be a lot of victims before it is even understood how these drugs work on the brain.

But enough of that, Manny. To me there is a difference between the subconscious mind and the conscience. I think of the conscience as a guide. The subconscious mind you can&#39;t rationalize with like you can your conscience. To me the conscience mind is a guide, but the subconscious mind keeps track.

Hopefully someday we will know a lot more about the human brain. What goes wrong at times. Right now we have barely touched the surface.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #38
    spinningfreemanny's Avatar I'm everything you want
    Lol, true; I don&#39;t think we&#39;ll understand the brain in our lifetime. Apparently you got one of the good ones. B)
    Do you know everything? do you know 3% of everything? Could it be that what you don't believe in is in the other 97%?

9. The Drawing Room   -   #39
    RGX's Avatar Unstoppable
    Depends on the nature of the company.

And yes, sometimes, with the use of good judgement, the end can justify the means.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #40
    Poster
    Originally posted by RGX@10 August 2004 - 15:11
    Depends on the nature of the company.

And yes, sometimes, with the use of good judgement, the end can justify the means.
    The justification would be based on one&#39;s own judgement tho&#39;.

Surely by the very subjectivity of that any decision on right / wrong would be suspect at best.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast