Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Computer Is Trippin Out!

okay everytime I start my computer I get a screen that says "the following file is missing or corrupt: windows/config/system32" or it might windows/system/config...something along those lines.
    also Internet Explorer and Media Player will have to close itself sometimes...when I view the error report there's something wrong in the local directory in the temp files or something. And sometimes my computer will just restart itself.

what is goin on? and how can I fix it?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Originally posted by [Spam]@6 August 2004 - 18:56
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307545
    yowza! that's some tricky stuff I gotta do...Is there any software programs I could get to fix the problem?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    keyser_soze's Avatar Poster
    You'll be lucky m8, most software that would cure this would need to be installed before the corruption, things like symantec systemworks spring to mind where it keeps files in a xtra sort of recycle bin and checks to see windows problems before finally deleting, would repairing the install with the xp disc not work?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Originally posted by keyser_soze@6 August 2004 - 19:43
    You'll be lucky m8, most software that would cure this would need to be installed before the corruption, things like symantec systemworks spring to mind where it keeps files in a xtra sort of recycle bin and checks to see windows problems before finally deleting, would repairing the install with the xp disc not work?
    well, it says to press "r" at the startup screen to repair the file...however I don't know how to get to that startup screen. I can get to that screen where the options are to start in safe mode, start normally, etc. by pressing f5 or f8, but there's no option to repair anything. arghhhh, my pc just reset itself while typing this.

what if I re installed windows?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Try pressing delete or f8 while booting up and enter bios, change your bios to boot from cd and f10 save and exit, insert your xp disc and choose to repair the current installation, I'm not sure but u might even be able to access the repair function from the xp disc.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    well I got to the repair page...and it wasn't as simple as just pressing r to fix it. I got to the point where it asks which windows log to save in. From that point on I didn't know what to do.
    I guess I might have to follow that guide off the microsoft site to fix it. But that all seems very complex and I might mess up my system. How the hell did I suddenly get this damn problem?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    You might have deleted the dll by mistake or maybe u uninstalled a program and it took the dll with it, it happens m8
    well I got to the repair page...and it wasn't as simple as just pressing r to fix it. I got to the point where it asks which windows log to save in.
    I've never seen this bit, ,ine usually just asks which version of xp to repair and its already highlighted?? Are u doing this in ms-dos or with xp running?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    doing this in dos...I've seen a program called hijack this...what does this do? will it help to solve my problem?

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    First, try clicking Start and Run, type sfc /scannow and hitting the return key.
    Feed your XP CD when prompted, wait a while, then see if it's sorted.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast