Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Given To The World

vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    ok given that there is going to be an award to the invetor/discoverer of one thing that had a beneficial impact mankind what would that be and why.
    Please try to think beyond the obvious "cure for cancer" although medical achievements do count. I would like to see things that might not be so obvious in the benefit... things taken for granted.

There are 2 awards

1st best invention from a country

2nd best overall world invention

My choices

1. The 3 point seat belt for the lives it has saved...Nils Bohlin, Sweden

2. The flushing toilet, for the lives it has saved .. i am going to give credit to Thomas Crapper, England although there is a lot of dispution to this as it's believed that possibly Alexander cummings of North america may have pipped him and even that as long as 4000 years ago in achient crete.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Poster
    Two of the greats where I am concerned are fire and soap. I am sorry, I don't know who discovered/invented them, but I am awfully grateful for them!

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Air conditioning/refrigeration- who would have thought that you could "trap" heat in a liquid. It almost defies logic.

And it has changed the world in regards to preservation of food.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    I think the humble electric light bulb deserves a mention. One only has to have a short power cut to feel the icy tentacles of superstitious fears creeping back into peoples' hearts.

Eddison, I believe, got there first.

I am not sure who invented the can opener, but, before his or her moment of genius, cans must have really drove people crazy.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Penicillin, Fleming, the UK, I think.

And the wheel, since it's helped humanity in so many ways.

EDit: But it's damned difficult to say which inventions are the greatest ever.

There's the microscope for instance, which I think may have saved a lot of lives too. Or compasses, or a hundred other things.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Doesn't have to be mind blowing...just the unsung everyday taken for granted but great none the less

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Originally posted by vidcc@8 August 2004 - 20:59
    Doesn't have to be mind blowing...just the unsung everyday taken for granted but great none the less
    The thong

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Originally posted by hobbes+8 August 2004 - 17:04--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (hobbes @ 8 August 2004 - 17:04)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-vidcc@8 August 2004 - 20:59
    Doesn&#39;t have to be mind blowing...just the unsung everyday taken for granted but great none the less
    The thong
    [/b][/quote]
    well we have a winner ...mind you i have seen women that i thought were wearing thongs that turned out to be pantaloons

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    Originally posted by Biggles@8 August 2004 - 18:24
    I think the humble electric light bulb deserves a mention. One only has to have a short power cut to feel the icy tentacles of superstitious fears creeping back into peoples&#39; hearts.

Eddison, I believe, got there first.

I am not sure who invented the can opener, but, before his or her moment of genius, cans must have really drove people crazy.
    I would broaden Biggles post to include "electricity"

It powers my computer, my TV, my air conditioning, my lights and my stove.

With it off, I would be in a very hot, a very hungry, and very isolated world.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by hobbes@9 August 2004 - 00:13
    I would broaden Biggles post to include "electricity"

It powers my computer
    See, that&#39;s an instant reason for the rest of us to rule it out.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast