Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arctic Silver 5

My as5 came today...smaller than i thought it would be(3.5 grams)....so do I just follow the instructions here starting from step 9? (I have a Pentium 4).

Also, if there's already thermal stuff or something on it, how would i clean it off??

Anything else I should know about this??

thx

oh and it says on the instructions that I should turn off the computer time to time for it to break in? and it says the break in's 200 hours?? so how often do i have to turn it off...can I not leave it on the whole day and do i have to turn it off at night?? and i have to do this for like 9 days??

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    1. use rubbing alcohol or just water to clean the old grease. use a small towel or something that won't shed fuzz into the cpu
    2. the directions are fine for a p4. just put a small dab in the middle, and let ur hsf spread it out as u put it on.

the turn of and on thing is prob cuz they say u need to let the cpu run for a while for the as5 to "sink in" and have full heat transfer. not sure wat else u really need to do

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    yea. i think so. if that's a stock hsf, putting as5 on it will boost performance

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    after i put a little of AS5 on the cpu, am i supposed to spread it with like a credit card?? or just put the heat sink on top of it and twist it just a bit, like their website says

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    In this picture:

Image Resized
    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v303/xxkrnxstylezxx/DSC04421.jpg' width='200' height='120' border='0' alt='click for full size view'>

See the black area? That looks like a thermal pad. It has to be completly removed before using AS5. Remove the bulk of the material with your fingernail then get the rest with rubbing alcohol.

The base of the heatsink should end up as a clean smooth aluminum surface.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    i think i got it pretty clean

Image Resized
    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v303/xxkrnxstylezxx/DSC04423.jpg' width='200' height='120' border='0' alt='click for full size view'>
    Image Resized
    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v303/xxkrnxstylezxx/DSC04424.jpg' width='200' height='120' border='0' alt='click for full size view'>

so for the arctic silver 5...do i put a bead on the cpu, spread it all over the metal part, and then just put the heat sink on? and i just turn the computer on??

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    lynx's Avatar .
    Put a small blob in the middle, put the heatsink on top and give it one small turn in each direction. Lift the heatsink off and check the coverage, it should be something like the top shot in this picture.

If you haven't got that much coverage put a little more compound on and repeat the process.

Once you've got enough coverage, put the heatsink back on and repeat the twisting action to remove any air bubbles, then fasten it down.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    wait...i thought i wasnt supposed to do that...people said to just put some in the middle, and spread it around with the credit card

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    lynx's Avatar .
    With AMD and PIII style processors the rubber standoffs (in the corners of the processor) may leave too big a gap between the core and the heatsink for the twisting action to work.

However, if you read the article again you will find it is recommended for processors with heat spreaders, but this is BEFORE you try to fasten the heatsink down. I've simply expanded on their theory so that you are sure you've covered the important area.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast