Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Rig (finally), Help Me Please!....

cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel
    Originally posted by (>Zero Cool<)+8 August 2004 - 23:56--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE ((>Zero Cool<) &#064; 8 August 2004 - 23:56)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-cpt_azad@9 August 2004 - 03:38
    k, after so fuckin long i&#39;m finally building my new rig (to handle doom3, hl2 and future games in all of it&#39;s glory). here&#39;s wat i&#39;m ordering, suggest other parts please:

Ordering:

MEMOERY: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....-220-010&depa=1 DUAL CHANNEL 2x1GB (2 gb total) RAM PDP SYSTEMS ordering in 1 week or if i feel like it, when i&#39;ve got all the parts listed (gotta save those pennies )

MOBO: Suggest a good one that goes with the ram listed above
    (184 pin of course) and also, has to be 8xAGP

PROCESSOR/CPU: Suggest something that&#39;s easily OCable and fast, i was thinking intel pentium EE HTT ones say 3.2 ghz or higher, i don&#39;t want AMD&#39;s because up to date i thought AMD 3000+ was 3 ghz only to find out it wasn&#39;t even 2.6 , i need something above 3 ghz atleast, suggestions needed

HARD DRIVE: http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc....-145-048&DEPA=1 250 GB HITACHI HDD 7200 RPM, definately need the space, now i&#39;m not a tech guy but can i get 2 of these? or will there be complications (like i said i&#39;m a n00b, will i have enough IDE cables, and wtf is RAID ? and if i get 2 of these will i have to set it up in a RAID format, like i said, no idea on HDD and how they work, no idea wat RAID is either)

CASE: now, i need something that is nice looking and has enough a PSU (is 420W enough? i&#39;m thinking of getting a high end vid card as well so that could be a huge factor), this one i found is 420W and has 7 FREAKING FANS :
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....-133-107&depa=1

HEATSINK/COOLING: i want my new rig to be as cool as possible, literally, now i have no idea wat a heaksink does but all i know is it&#39;s important (is it that thing that&#39;s attached to the processor chip and on top of my fx5200??) please suggest something unless heatsink already comes wit the CPU/PROCESSOR

CD/DVD DRIVES: already have a cdrw and a dvdrw at home

MONITOR: suggest a good flat screen 21" atleast, can&#39;t seem to find one on newegg only LCD&#39;s

VIDEO CARD: ahh yes, now wat to do? should i just grab the 6800 GT or wait for the 512mb to hit the market? here&#39;s the link (6800), i&#39;m willing to pay: http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc....-122-195&DEPA=0 oh , and is this wat a heat sink is? cuz this is freakin huge
    : http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage.asp?im...-122-195-05.JPG

SOUND CARD: anything good 5.1 channel atleast

am i forgetting something? please give me other suggestions for these parts like better parts and stuff, except for the ram, i kinda made my mind up on that. help a guy out, my budget is 4200 dollars, and an additional 600 dollars in 2 weeks thanks to all for suggestion, remember, this is supposed to be a gaming rig

edit: i&#39;m an idiot, added a sound card , am i missing something? pls do tell&#33;
    ok

you are gonna need a good power supply to keep all your stuff going.

as for cooling heatsinks are very important if you are gonna overclock. overclocking causes your cpu/gfx to run hotter, heat is not good so you wanna keep things as cool as poss. The heatsink is the piece of metal normally copper or suchlike that sits on the top of your cpu, your gfx card and your chipset and conducts heat away. There is a fan attached to the top of the heatsink to cool thing down, ridiculously I can&#39;t remember if it blows the hot air away or blows cold aif on to the chip

It is very important to get a good cooler if you are gonna oc a lot.

re your case make sure it has good ventalation and plenty of space for cool air to move around for the same reasons.

You might wanna get some cable tidys to keep the cables nice and neat to again allow good airflow.

Oh btw not all sata drives come with cables so make sure you have these.
    My board came with ide cables, sata power cables and data transfer cables but this is not allways the case.

ok If I think of anything else I will post back.

edit also be careful some heatsinks will be very big, just saw the one on your gfx, so remember that they have to fit inyour setup, your gfx card will prob take up two expansion slots due to the heatsink, as in it is so big you couldn&#39;t fit another card next to it. also remember that may want to upgrade later...much later....so allow specs that cater for this. oh and canI come and play at your house

edit 2. remember when buying a cpu that the top end chips won&#39;t overclock as much as the lower end ones as they are already near their max, some cpus oc better than others, again check this out. you could save money by buying a lower chip and oc n it. e&#39;g I have a two point six p four running at three but it was obviously cheaper than a three gig one at the time I bought it. check reviews and forums for better info. eg my cpu tops out at three point two five whatever you do [/b][/quote]
    excellent points, i didn&#39;t even think of these

ur rite, i&#39;ll probably buy an AMD athlon XP 3000+ or 3200+ and OC from there, as for cooling the case is pretty big (lots of space) and comes with 420W PSU and 7 fans (80mm), i will be getting more rest assured. as for the video card heatsink, i&#39;m installing that in the AGP and the sound card is going in the PCI slot of the mobo (and nowadays if im correct, mobos have atleast 2 PCI slots BELOW the AGP slot). as for ram, yes, i really do want 2 gbs, but i will look into it, i just cancelled my order for the ram. the harddrives have been ordered as well as the vid card. also ordered some fans, i&#39;m still looking into a good CPU (like i said AMD athlon XP 3000+-3200+) and RAM. sound card i&#39;ll have to see about. also looking at some good mobo&#39;s at the moment, haven&#39;t found one i like but i have almost 30 pages to sift thru so no worries as of yet, thank you guys for all your help. keep em coming&#33;

EDIT: zero cool, no such thing as theltake.com i&#39;m at thetake.com like i said in the other PM but nothing about computers tho :helpsmile: ur INBOX is full so i can&#39;t PM ya :helpsmile:

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    (>Zero Cool<)'s Avatar he is Spartacus!
    about four feet that way......no the other way
    just to ask but why are you buying fans?

oops srry typo I meant thermaltake.com, heres the link

clicky click

the new tsunami looks nice

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    oh and remember and get some good thermal paste...goo that goes between your chips and heatsinks

oh yeah and speakers might be a good idea, orand headphones if you live in a busy household

heres a review of your gfx, very nice, but as I suggested it takes up a pci slot too.

clixck

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Capt.,

Yes, the TT case comes with seven fans...seven pathetic fans.
    Very low output 80mm spinney things, lots of show, very little GO&#33;.
    I wouldn&#39;t trust the PSU, either.

For a case I would recommend the CoolerMaster Stacker, as it has provision for 120mm fans.

HDD: In a perfect world you would have a WD Raptor ( either size) for your system drive and a Seagate ( as big as you need) for storage. No need to screw with RAID arrays for home use.

Over 1GB of RAM is total overkill IMO, but it&#39;s your money, go nutz if you like.

nForce is not a brand of board, it is the chipset...I have had two nForce 2 based boards, Asus and ABIT, and recommend either.
    Personal favorite at the moment is the ABIT NF7-S, but that requires an AMD chip.
    Both boards have excellent onboard sound also as well as SATA support.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Originally posted by clocker@9 August 2004 - 09:23
    Capt.,

Yes, the TT case comes with seven fans...seven pathetic fans.
    Very low output 80mm spinney things, lots of show, very little GO&#33;.
    I wouldn&#39;t trust the PSU, either.

For a case I would recommend the CoolerMaster Stacker, as it has provision for 120mm fans.

HDD: In a perfect world you would have a WD Raptor ( either size) for your system drive and a Seagate ( as big as you need) for storage. No need to screw with RAID arrays for home use.

Over 1GB of RAM is total overkill IMO, but it&#39;s your money, go nutz if you like.

nForce is not a brand of board, it is the chipset...I have had two nForce 2 based boards, Asus and ABIT, and recommend either.
    Personal favorite at the moment is the ABIT NF7-S, but that requires an AMD chip.
    Both boards have excellent onboard sound also as well as SATA support.
    hiya clocker, I wondered why you had slated the tt case, I never thought about the fans, can they be replaced with better ones?

btw you will notice that most of the info I passed on I learned over in the other forum, makes me sound as if I know what I am talking about.............well almost

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    I would buy a 2500XP with an Abit NF7-S. Save you a lot of money and overclock easily to 3200XP speeds, which is about a 3.0Ghz P4. Dont judge CPUs just by their Ghz rating.
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by (>Zero Cool<)@9 August 2004 - 03:42

hiya clocker, I wondered why you had slated the tt case, I never thought about the fans, can they be replaced with better ones?

Sure, they can be replaced, but why mess with 80mm fans at all?
    The two sidepanel fans are especially useless as there is only minimal access to the outside air and trying to cut the acrylic window can be a bitch.

As you know, I have absolutely no qualms about hacking away at my cases, but found the TT to be a poor platform to begin with.
    Many of the features they tout ( and use to justify the high price) are completely useless and you&#39;ll end up trying to work around them, if not figuring out how to remove them altogether.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Keikan's Avatar ........
    overclock easily to 3200XP speeds
    *results may vary
    Ohh noo!!! I make dribbles!!!

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Spicker's Avatar AKA jaigandhi5 BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Originally posted by Keikan@9 August 2004 - 13:15
    overclock easily to 3200XP speeds
    *results may vary
    LOL

keikan

i overclocked the pc i was building 2500+ to 3200+ and yes i did increase the vcore....

and the temps were great maximum it went under prime95 was 53C

but then i underclocked it to 2800+ because its for home use and they dont Benchmark like we do

My Blog
    I'm still here.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    Twist3r
    if I were you i would buy:

athlon xp 2500 (overclock to 3200 speeds)
    512 ram
    and get a X800 with the money you saved from ram and CPU

you can always get another stick of 512 ram so u can run in dual channel after you buy your video card and such

1 gig of ram is MORE then enough 2 gb is way overkill
    4 gb is pointless IMO

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast