Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Reformatting Didn't Work..help!

well one of the main errors I get is a "windows/system32/config file is missing or corrupt" at startup. The other errors occur when a program is running ie. Explorer, Bittornado, installshield. They have to stop and close, or the cpu will just reset itself. I even had the NT shutdown thingy come up. If you want details of the errors how could I send you the log?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #32
    here's a list of error report details I get in windows when programs shutdown.
    c:\windows\system32\dllcache\ntosknl.exe
    c:\windows\minidump\mini080904.01.dmp
    c:\docu~\deck~1\locals~1\temp\wer1.tmp.dir00\sysdata.xml
    c:\temp\wera.tmp.dir00\lsass.exe.mdp\appcompat.txt

I don't know if these help, but these are mainly the kind of error report things I get.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #33
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Try an old floppy dos start up disk like win98 , Fdisk restart then , then format c:/u. U= unconditional . Then reboot from xp cd , and reinstall . Bruce scan your backups before you install your old backup programs.

http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/how...format_sys.html

Edit For being stupid : Sorry Bruce forgot you are floppy less.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #34
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Originally posted by Robert00000@11 August 2004 - 22:43
    @ CHEWIE - Technically you do not wipe all date when you format, all formating does is delete references to the files. The only way to wipe all the files is by low level formating, which writes over the files.

But as far as windows id concerend formating does wipe the data because it cannot use the files it does not have references to.
    Thanks for that, Robert; I think we all know that I understand exactly what formatting does, although others chose not to highlight that I had simplified my explanation for the original poster.
    For all intents and purposes, my post was accurate enough.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234