Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Altered Carbon

Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by RGX@11 August 2004 - 14:11
    Your memories are part of you I guess Snny, they enable you to make decisions based on past experience....if you were missing some of them who knows what it would do to your personality...
    I should point out that I meant it in the event that my synapses could be replaced piece by piece, but that whatever replaced them should have the same functions, and memories stored.

Naturally, I wouldn't much like having my memories erased in the process.

2. Lounge   -   #82
    Anyone else wanna have a go at this discussion?

For those you can't be bothered to read through all of it...
    The original question treated the following hypothetical scenario...

If you had a harddrive implanted inside you that recorded your mind and memories, would you still be you if this hardrive was used to create a new copy of you?

If not, would it be different if you had had it inside you since before you became self-aware?

And lastly, would you want to do it regardless, if you were dying?

Opinions have ranged from people accepting the copy as themselves, and that the copied you would still be you, to someone saying that it might well be that your entire body is a part of your conciousness, and that you could neither switch your body for a new one, nor your mind.

Other issues that have come up throughout the discussion are:

...If you could travel through teleportation as featured in the sci-fi novel ilium, and in Star Trek, would you consider the person that emerged at the other end to still be you or just a copy?

...If we have souls, or some other metahysical connection to another plane, will they carry over into the copy?

...Is it correct to compare the brain to a hard-drive at all, would it not be more comparable to a biological form of RAM?

And the very burning issues of what Air Wolf in fact was, and why does Tinky Winky Carry a Hand Bag, as he is a bloke?

3. Lounge   -   #83
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday

4. Lounge   -   #84
    Originally posted by danb@11 August 2004 - 18:56
    AirWolf

Even more AirWolf
    I believe you've solved that part of the discussion very well, well done dan.

Was it just me, or did that helicopter move in ways it shouldn't have been able to, according to the laws of physics?

5. Lounge   -   #85
    Originally posted by SnnY+11 August 2004 - 18:02--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (SnnY @ 11 August 2004 - 18:02)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-danb@11 August 2004 - 18:56
    AirWolf

Even more AirWolf
    I believe you&#39;ve solved that part of the discussion very well, well done dan.

Was it just me, or did that helicopter move in ways it shouldn&#39;t have been able to, according to the laws of physics? [/b][/quote]
    It was a Top Secret helicopter so it could have had special things fitted

6. Lounge   -   #86
    Originally posted by danb+11 August 2004 - 19:07--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (danb @ 11 August 2004 - 19:07)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by SnnY@11 August 2004 - 18:02
    <!--QuoteBegin-danb
    @11 August 2004 - 18:56
    AirWolf

Even more AirWolf

I believe you&#39;ve solved that part of the discussion very well, well done dan.

Was it just me, or did that helicopter move in ways it shouldn&#39;t have been able to, according to the laws of physics?
    It was a Top Secret helicopter so it could have had special things fitted [/b][/quote]
    Like special magic my little pony gravity suspending inertial dampeners or something?

7. Lounge   -   #87
    Originally posted by SnnY+11 August 2004 - 18:09--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (SnnY @ 11 August 2004 - 18:09)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by danb@11 August 2004 - 19:07
    <!--QuoteBegin-danb
    AirWolf

Even more AirWolf

Was it just me, or did that helicopter move in ways it shouldn&#39;t have been able to, according to the laws of physics?

Like special magic my little pony gravity suspending inertial dampeners or something? [/b][/quote]
    That will be the one. Clever fellows those military scientists

8. Lounge   -   #88
    Originally posted by danb+11 August 2004 - 19:11--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (danb @ 11 August 2004 - 19:11)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by SnnY@11 August 2004 - 18:09
    Originally posted by danb@11 August 2004 - 19:07
    <!--QuoteBegin-danb
    AirWolf

Even more AirWolf

Like special magic my little pony gravity suspending inertial dampeners or something?
    That will be the one. Clever fellows those military scientists [/b][/quote]
    Perhaps Tinky winky is another project of theirs, a super soldier thing or so?

9. Lounge   -   #89
    Na, he is just a gay muppet thing

10. Lounge   -   #90
    Originally posted by danb@11 August 2004 - 19:16
    Na, he is just a gay muppet thing&nbsp; &nbsp;
    Aaah, Hence the hand-bag, that explains that.

IRC?

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast