Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sentencing For Nichols

I was reading about the current sentencing for what he did and I agree he should of got what he did overall. But I am not sure I believe it was neccessary.

He was allready sentenced to life in prison. If he is never going to get out, why did we waste money trying him for more crimes? Didn't we just waste a whole lot of tax payers money?

So now he has a total of 162 consecutive life sentences What good is that?

I really am wondering about the purpose of this. Can anyone give me good reasons why we continued?

TD
    Peace of mind Findnot

No time to work out? Try Folding instead.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Arm's Avatar Poster
    Why dont we just kill his worthless ass?

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    I think it has more to do with respect for the victims than anything else. But i do see how it seems futile.

Edit: wasn't the prosecution was looking for the death sentence?

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    with all the recent talk of traitors and treason, i wonder why i never heard much demand for McVeigh and Nichols to be put on trial for treason? to be honest, i don't recall hearing any demand at all. maybe being found guilty of accessory to 160+ murders doesn't necessarily translate to treason. but surely combined with intentional destruction of a government building it was far closer to bona fide treason than any other U.S. citizen has come in recent history? does treason simply not happen, when we don't have a republican in the oval office and we're not at war in the middle east?

ironically, celebrated treason-ologist Ann Coulter has said “My only regret with Timothy McVeigh is he did not go to the New York Times Building.” she even wrote a popular book called Treason, which might be partially to thank for returning "treason" to its proper place in the household vocabulary, with its dozens of pages full of words and everything. so you'd expect her to be some kinda expert on the subject. but she apparently suffers from selective middle-aged senility on the particular topic of McVeigh and Nichols.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    Originally posted by Arm@9 August 2004 - 21:47
    Why dont we just kill his worthless ass?
    Cos a jury cant give a death sentence

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Arm's Avatar Poster
    3RA1N1AC, shut up you dont know what your talking about. And Ann Coulter is just as full of shit as Rush Limbaugh so neither one of them can be credible.

Lets find out what trason means in the 'ol dictionary.

trea•son \"trez-en\ n : the offense of attempting to overthrow the government of one's country or of assisting its enemies in war —
    Well, he didn't try to overthrow the government or assist Americas enemies in war(and at the time of the bombing America was at peace), thereby making treason not something he did. Mass-murder and other ungood things but not treason.

And we need more executions in the world not less. Though Americas justice system is anything but justice so it wouldnt work here. At least not until we have a revolution and have a just government.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Originally posted by Arm@10 August 2004 - 05:42
    3RA1N1AC, shut up you dont know what your talking about. And Ann Coulter is just as full of shit as Rush Limbaugh so neither one of them can be credible.

Lets find out what trason means in the 'ol dictionary.

trea•son \"trez-en\ n : the offense of attempting to overthrow the government of one's country or of assisting its enemies in war —
    Well, he didn't try to overthrow the government or assist Americas enemies in war(and at the time of the bombing America was at peace), thereby making treason not something he did. Mass-murder and other ungood things but not treason.

And we need more executions in the world not less. Though Americas justice system is anything but justice so it wouldnt work here. At least not until we have a revolution and have a just government.
    1) "celebrated treason-ologist" = sarcasm. there's no such thing as treasonology, so i'm implying Ann Coulter's expertise in a non-existent field of study. it's like being a professor of traitorography, pimponomics, or misunderestimationoholism.

2) The Turner Diaries. if you don't know what that is, how it relates to McVeigh & Nichols and to gov't overthrow, go look it up.

3) get some manners. and STFU. but mostly get some manners.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    I think he ought to have gotten the death sentence as well. But considering how long people on death row seem to stay alive before getting their punishment, they may as well get life without parole.

After getting life without parole, I believe it is a waste of time and money to seek death. Their gonna be around many more years usually anyway, so why waste all the effort for something that may not happen?

If the victims families want to pursue the death sentance after that, they should foot the bill, not the tax payers IMO.

I also read that he was fined something like 10 million dollars How's he gonna pay that? License plate making pay that well?

Seems silly if not wastefull to spend tax dollars on something like that.

TD
    Peace of mind Findnot

No time to work out? Try Folding instead.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    I have no doubt he would have got the death sentence if he was allowed to be sentenced to it. Something I found out is that in the US you cant get a death penalty if you are having trial by jury therefore a life sentence for each murder seems only right if a little excessive

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Originally posted by danb@10 August 2004 - 09:05
      Something I found out is that in the US you cant get a death penalty if you are having trial by jury 
    Are you sure about that ?

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast