Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: If Robots Walked The Earth...

Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by RGX+10 August 2004 - 16:03--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (RGX @ 10 August 2004 - 16:03)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-SnnY@10 August 2004 - 13:45
    I think the hardware for it will come naturally, we constantly need more processing power after all.

What we need is software that evolves on it&#39;s own, something scientists are already working on.

Once you have that, you don&#39;t need massive funds, or an army of developers.

All you need is time, enough storage, and freedom.

At least this is what i think.
    Many programs on my PC already think they are smarter than me and make decisions by themselves, choose to ignore me if they feel like it...

Should I donate my PC to NASA? [/b][/quote]
    Yes.

But not if you think it&#39;ll do them any good.

2. Lounge   -   #32
    RGX's Avatar Unstoppable
    Originally posted by SnnY+10 August 2004 - 14:05--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (SnnY @ 10 August 2004 - 14:05)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by RGX@10 August 2004 - 16:03
    <!--QuoteBegin-SnnY
    @10 August 2004 - 13:45
    I think the hardware for it will come naturally, we constantly need more processing power after all.

What we need is software that evolves on it&#39;s own, something scientists are already working on.

Many programs on my PC already think they are smarter than me and make decisions by themselves, choose to ignore me if they feel like it...

Should I donate my PC to NASA?
    Yes.

But not if you think it&#39;ll do them any good. [/b][/quote]
    Nah, it&#39;ll delay the space shuttle launch and insist on a few games of UT2004 first...then launch it in the night when nobodys looking and the scientists will wake up to find that the bastard thing has disconnected itself for no apparent reason.

Oh and sometimes when they start it up it will refuse to recognise the keyboard and mouse.

3. Lounge   -   #33
    Bloody beautiful.

Bet they&#39;d get surprised.

4. Lounge   -   #34
    RGX's Avatar Unstoppable
    Originally posted by SnnY@10 August 2004 - 14:09
    Bloody beautiful.

Bet they&#39;d get surprised.
    As much as I curse this PC, it is entertaining to find out what it&#39;ll do next. At the moment it is refusing to run Vice city. No error message, nothing. I&#39;ve had this problem in the past, it fixes itself. I love it really.

Back to the whole robot thing, methinks the only way to control AI is to have hardware failsafes, that take the robot offline if tampered with...it seems inevitable that if an artificial mind is given something such as survival instinct or reasoning it will reason that it is immoral to control a race purely to be used as slaves as demonstrated in human past.

After all, to a robot, it appears as alive as anything else.

5. Lounge   -   #35
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Originally posted by RGX+10 August 2004 - 15:07--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (RGX @ 10 August 2004 - 15:07)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by SnnY@10 August 2004 - 14:05
    Originally posted by RGX@10 August 2004 - 16:03
    <!--QuoteBegin-SnnY
    @10 August 2004 - 13:45

Should I donate my PC to NASA?

Yes.

But not if you think it&#39;ll do them any good.
    Nah, it&#39;ll delay the space shuttle launch and insist on a few games of UT2004 first...then launch it in the night when nobodys looking and the scientists will wake up to find that the bastard thing has disconnected itself for no apparent reason.

Oh and sometimes when they start it up it will refuse to recognise the keyboard and mouse. [/b][/quote]
    I think our PCs are related. I get those problems too plus I&#39;m currently struggling without a pound symbol 70% of the time. Most of the time, like now, the symbol about the 3 is a #
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

6. Lounge   -   #36
    Errm.

3+Shift: #
    3+Alt Gr: £

Funny &#39;puter you have.

7. Lounge   -   #37
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Originally posted by SnnY@10 August 2004 - 15:18
    Errm.

Not entirely sure what that meant but other keyboard related maladies are the 2 key plus shift is a &#39;@&#39; and the # key is a &#39;&#092;&#39; - My double quote key is now located above the single quote too. It does seem I&#39;ve an odd computer
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

8. Lounge   -   #38
    Originally posted by manker+10 August 2004 - 16:24--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (manker @ 10 August 2004 - 16:24)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-SnnY@10 August 2004 - 15:18
    Errm.

Not entirely sure what that meant but other keyboard related maladies are the 2 key plus shift is a &#39;@&#39; and the # key is a &#39;&#092;&#39; - My double quote key is now located above the single quote too. It does seem I&#39;ve an odd computer [/b][/quote]
    Maybe it has gotten the keyboard table settings corrupted.

Sounds like it may be using something like an awerty and a qwerty setup alternately.

9. Lounge   -   #39
    RGX's Avatar Unstoppable
    Whatever we do, we must prevent them from direct connecting and copulating. The artificial intelligence produced could cause the end of mankind. Imagine skynet x10, controlling every computer system capable of connecting to a network...and refusing to run Vice city on any of them.

And oi you two I made a good point above, this is what happens when you try and bring some ethical debate into a bar.

10. Lounge   -   #40
    bujub22's Avatar THE GREAT
    Originally posted by RGX@10 August 2004 - 10:29
    Whatever we do, we must prevent them from direct connecting and copulating. The artificial intelligence produced could cause the end of mankind. Imagine skynet x10, controlling every computer system capable of connecting to a network...and refusing to run Vice city on any of them.

And oi you two I made a good point above, this is what happens when you try and bring some ethical debate into a bar.
    there coming

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast