Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: If Robots Walked The Earth...

Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by RGX@10 August 2004 - 16:50
    @ Snny: I keep meaning to read Asimov but I never get around to it, it would seem that his subject matter and reasoning would make for some great reading. I'll use this to spur me to get some of his books, as I love this kind of ethical/technological debate.
    I, Robot certainly seems to be what you are looking for then.

It treats the kind of servitude versus reasoning dilemma you talk about, and it does it very well.

2. Lounge   -   #52
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    The ED209 was a rather useless robot as it couldn't move down stairs, rather like the Daleks in a way.

3. Lounge   -   #53
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Hopefully when they get round to making robots and AI computers and suchlike, they'll make them like in Star Trek (original series).

That way if they ever start to behave obnoxiously, all you have to do is confuse them by being a bit illogical or get them into a paradoxical loop..

Then after a few sparks and a puff of smoke, they are completely immobilised.

Or maybe like in War Games, where you just have to get them to play themselves at noughts and crosses over and over...... pzzztt-tzzzztt-tzzzzztt-whoompf!...

4. Lounge   -   #54
    RGX's Avatar Unstoppable
    Originally posted by SnnY+10 August 2004 - 15:33--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (SnnY @ 10 August 2004 - 15:33)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-RGX@10 August 2004 - 16:50
    @ Snny: I keep meaning to read Asimov but I never get around to it, it would seem that his subject matter and reasoning would make for some great reading. I&#39;ll use this to spur me to get some of his books, as I love this kind of ethical/technological debate.

It treats the kind of servitude versus resoning dilemma you talk about, and it does it very well. [/b][/quote]
    I recently saw the movie which I thought was dumbed down a bit but good, but I assume its nothing like the book, I&#39;ll get a copy.

5. Lounge   -   #55
    Lick My Lovepump
    Originally posted by RGX+10 August 2004 - 16:57--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (RGX @ 10 August 2004 - 16:57)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by SnnY@10 August 2004 - 15:33
    <!--QuoteBegin-RGX
    @10 August 2004 - 16:50
    @ Snny: I keep meaning to read Asimov but I never get around to it, it would seem that his subject matter and reasoning would make for some great reading. I&#39;ll use this to spur me to get some of his books, as I love this kind of ethical/technological debate.

It treats the kind of servitude versus resoning dilemma you talk about, and it does it very well.
    I recently saw the movie which I thought was dumbed down a bit but good, but I assume its nothing like the book, I&#39;ll get a copy. [/b][/quote]
    I hear the only similarities betwen the movie and the book are the names of the characters, and the robot model number cryptically.

6. Lounge   -   #56
    Originally posted by Mad Cat+10 August 2004 - 19:25--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mad Cat @ 10 August 2004 - 19:25)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by RGX@10 August 2004 - 16:57
    <!--QuoteBegin-RGX

It treats the kind of servitude versus resoning dilemma you talk about, and it does it very well.

I recently saw the movie which I thought was dumbed down a bit but good, but I assume its nothing like the book, I&#39;ll get a copy.
    I hear the only similarities betwen the movie and the book are the names of the characters, and the robot model number cryptically. [/b][/quote]
    I haven&#39;t seen the movie, I thought there were a couple of characters taken from one of the other robot novels, but I&#39;m not sure, I haven&#39;t even checked what the main character&#39;s name is.

7. Lounge   -   #57
    Lick My Lovepump
    Originally posted by SnnY+10 August 2004 - 17:29--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (SnnY @ 10 August 2004 - 17:29)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by Mad Cat@10 August 2004 - 19:25
    Originally posted by RGX@10 August 2004 - 16:57
    <!--QuoteBegin-RGX

I hear the only similarities betwen the movie and the book are the names of the characters, and the robot model number cryptically.
    I haven&#39;t seen the movie, I thought there were a couple of characters taken from one of the other robot novels, but I&#39;m not sure, I haven&#39;t even checked what the main character&#39;s name is. [/b][/quote]
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0343818/

8. Lounge   -   #58
    Hmm, Smith&#39;s character didn&#39;t have the name I thought he&#39;d have, I thought he&#39;d be the cop from the hive cities, if it rings a bell.

Susan Calvin and Alfred Lanning are characters from the book, but I doubt Calvin is as interesting in the movie, or as central to the story (well she isn&#39;t always in the book, but in my favourite parts).

9. Lounge   -   #59
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    I thought the film was great

Admittedly I havent read the book so I couldnt point out the gaping holes that there normally is in films of books

10. Lounge   -   #60
    Lick My Lovepump
    Originally posted by SnnY@10 August 2004 - 17:35
    Susan Calvin and Alfred Lanning are characters from the book, but I doubt Calvin is as interesting in the movie, or as central to the story (well she isn&#39;t always in the book, but in my favourite parts).
    Susan Calvin is like the second lead character, but she is the "stereotypical," under common sensed future woman, devoid of most emotion.

EDIT: By stereotypical, I mean in films portraying the future and then someone not suited to that era, the futurists always seem to have no sense about daily life and have left most things to, in this case, robots or the like (a lot like rich people, actually).

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast